Self misaligning rockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A week ago driving my truck to work while my Subaru was down I hear a slight ticking from the engine bay that I hoped was an exhaust leak….it was not. Driving back home from work the ticking stopped and was replaced by a very obvious dead cylinder and white smoke puffing out of the exhaust. I thought it was LS swap time until today when I investigated….
You must be registered for see images attach

Not sure how a rocker arm comes loose like that but after inspection I couldn’t see any carnage so I set it all back in place for now. How would one go about properly re-installing/torquing/adjusting etc?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Those are NOT "self-aligning" rockers. Those are plain ol' ordinary rockers guided via the pushrods/pushrod guideplates.

2. Based on the deeply-placed set screw, that rocker wasn't adjusted properly to begin with.

3. The next question is what condition are the pushrods in? When using guideplates, the pushrods MUST be hardened...and very few OEM pushrods are.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1. Those are NOT "self-aligning" rockers. Those are plain ol' ordinary rockers guided via the pushrods/pushrod guideplates.

2. Based on the deeply-placed set screw, that rocker wasn't adjusted properly to begin with.

3. The next question is what condition are the pushrods in? When using guideplates, the pushrods MUST be hardened...and very few OEM pushrods are.
I know they’re not, thats the joke lol. “Self MISaligning”. It’s very possible it wasn’t adjusted right from the start, this engine builder might have been mostly blind, drunk or both when he built this one so who knows. These pushrods are indeed hardened.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know they’re not, thats the joke lol. “Self MISaligning”. It’s very possible it wasn’t adjusted right from the start, this engine builder might have been mostly blind, drunk or both when he built this one so who knows. These pushrods are indeed hardened.
what heads are those ? China mystery ?

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I share your doubt. I’m more than inclined to believe these are knockoffs of some sort. They keep the explosions contained though so for now they can stay. I’m going to go through both sides and check the lash now.

k20chevy

Reaction score
I have had the cheap knock-off "polylocks" come loose. You really gotta crank down on the set screw to get them to hold and I would pop the covers off after a few hundred miles and re-check.