SBC Oil Filter Adapter Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Is the part made out of pot metal? They are easily warped. Maybe find an aftermarket billet part.
They are cast aluminum, IIRC. I'd wonder if it's cracked and it isn't apparent when off the engine, but the crack spreads when it's bolted down, might even be in an area that isn't visible but interferes with sealing.

Richard

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe it's more than just "a" gasket. I think the small block is a gasket, an o-ring, and I think the bolts are sealed in some manner as well.
Yes... Although I didn't have any issues with my 93 k1500 original bolts not having sealing washers. I think it's a mod/upgrade for some years. Or maybe mine has them and I don't recall.

I do remember wondering why I had a thick square cut oring in my adapter when I went to change out everything but, the smaller less warm fuzzy feeling replacement o-ring worked flawless...the orange one did too.....
I can't remember what model the orange square cut o-ring came from. There was discussion about it where I may have mentioned it and pointed out the models it was for.. not sure..maybe diesel or something....

Attachments

• IMG20240327233340.jpg
    IMG20240327233340.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG20240327233329.jpg
    IMG20240327233329.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

jd33173

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Time to try something different, go for that different adapter as doing the same thing again and again hoping for a different result is insanity. I also recall that for my truck there were a number of people that posted about the wrong part number pulling up for that gasket kit. I ultimately got a kit like the bagged one in the second pic in the prev post and it worked fine. Get another adapter and compare it like some of the guys said.

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ultimately got a kit like the bagged one in the second pic in the prev post and it worked fine
both pics are the same package..Just front and back..//which should be the same for a 94 k1500
The orange o-ring was just what I took out of my adapter when changing everything. definitely meatier...but ended up not mattering....
Makes me wonder if there is a similar looking yet slightly different oil filter adapter as it relates to using something like the orange o-ring but I wouldn't know at all....I'll see if I can find what the orange one references to..

edit///
here's what I found back then

yes...looks like for all the same years k series diesels etc........ what do those adapters look like I wonder?
Can't tell if there are any distinctions looking on gm parts giant...doesn't ask for engine.... weird...

ok...looks like the adapter for the k2500 shows the orange o-ring...but the replacement o-ring kit is the same as I used so, maybe the orange o-ring was an original design or something? who knows

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 00-51-09 1994 GMC K2500 Parts - GMPartsGiant.com.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 00-51-09 1994 GMC K2500 Parts - GMPartsGiant.com.png
    80.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: