Rust Busters Spare Tire Crossmembers - are all three necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NH94Stepside

Reaction score
Hi all,

Please let me know if there is a better place to post - I don't see a "frame repair" subforum.

I have a 94 K1500 that I am slowly restoring. My spare tire crossmember is pretty rotten, and I plan on replacing it with the rust busters spare tire crossmember.

My question:
Rust busters has three crossmembers, SKU RB7329 (red), SKU RB7333 (purple), and SKU RB7332 (dark green). Are all three necessary? The main crossmember (RB7329) looks like the beefiest and most necessary for structural rigidity. Are the other two critical for rigidity? Or are they just necessary for holding the spare tire?

Currently, I'm just trying to get the truck back into drivable condition, so i don't plan on installing a spare. If the front and rear crossmembers are only for the spare tire (and not critical for rigidity), then i feel more comfortable saving a few bucks and only replacing the main crossmember for now.

You must be registered for see images attach

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,

Please let me know if there is a better place to post - I don't see a "frame repair" subforum.

I have a 94 K1500 that I am slowly restoring. My spare tire crossmember is pretty rotten, and I plan on replacing it with the rust busters spare tire crossmember.

My question:
Rust busters has three crossmembers, SKU RB7329 (red), SKU RB7333 (purple), and SKU RB7332 (dark green). Are all three necessary? The main crossmember (RB7329) looks like the beefiest and most necessary for structural rigidity. Are the other two critical for rigidity? Or are they just necessary for holding the spare tire?

Currently, I'm just trying to get the truck back into drivable condition, so i don't plan on installing a spare. If the front and rear crossmembers are only for the spare tire (and not critical for rigidity), then i feel more comfortable saving a few bucks and only replacing the main crossmember for now.

You must be registered for see images attach
I would like to think the engineering department at GM put them there for a reason. Especially the diagonal one, triangulation is never a bad thing.

But that being said, I can't see why they couldn't be replicates with some "alternative" pieces, like some C-channel from a metal supplier at a deeply discounted price, if you have the tools and skills to pull it off.

They aren't very complicated pieces, a few holes here and there, and a few angles. Easy to do with a grinder or hacksaw if you had too.
The hardest part would be for the spare tire jack tool to go through, and that doesn't sound like an issue for you.

NH94Stepside

Reaction score
I would like to think the engineering department at GM put them there for a reason. Especially the diagonal one, triangulation is never a bad thing.

But that being said, I can't see why they couldn't be replicates with some "alternative" pieces, like some C-channel from a metal supplier at a deeply discounted price, if you have the tools and skills to pull it off.

They aren't very complicated pieces, a few holes here and there, and a few angles. Easy to do with a grinder or hacksaw if you had too.
The hardest part would be for the spare tire jack tool to go through, and that doesn't sound like an issue for you.
That's my concern as well - the parts are there, so they must serve some purpose. I suppose I can replace the main crossmember and keep the rusty front and rear crossmembers for the time being.

98_SLE_98

Reaction score
If you are replacing the main crossmember, I would replace front and rear ones as well at the same time. I have made them before with 2" square tube, cut/drill/notch the ends in order to bolt it to the frame and main crossmember. Can also use channel as well, I drilled a hole through the rear one for the spare tire hoist tube to go through

NH94Stepside

Reaction score
If you are replacing the main crossmember, I would replace front and rear ones as well at the same time. I have made them before with 2" square tube, cut/drill/notch the ends in order to bolt it to the frame and main crossmember. Can also use channel as well, I drilled a hole through the rear one for the spare tire hoist tube to go through
Appreciate the input! Will do