Rocker arms loosening 93 5.7 tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
MY guess is a failing cam lobe/lifter bottom.
Sure sounds depressing lol ‘
If I’m going to end up needing a cam, I may as well go for it all !

I don’t like the idea of failing rocker studs that’s an absolute absurd design if that’s all gm could come up with ( press fit).
So even if it’s just the poly lock failing , those studs could yank out at any time and be an issue

Does the 96> newer vortec 350 see same the same issues ? If thats even a rare event the studs pulling out ~ ?

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question ? What is the best case scenario fix if the stud is pulling out ? So I end up needing a replacement cylinder head? Or at that point would I be better of doing a performance head swap with updated rocker design that would do away with this issue …The lower end is 140k with good compression might be worth it

A crafty mechanic may pull the pressed in rocker arm stud,** then drill & tap the hole
so that a screw-in stud can be installed. Better than new! (See attached.)

He would minimize the debris field and probably run a shop vac continuously while
drilling/tapping the threaded hole. If his game is good (enough) he would do all
this with the head remaining in place.

If you are the only one to drive this & it's only for local errands, you could certainly
choose to stop here and adopt a wait and see posture on the remaining 15 rocker
arm studs.

On the other hand, if you are going to tow a trailer cross-country, put the engine into
severe marine service, repowering an ambulance, etc., then maybe
you would decide to
install all 16. (15x more work.) Of course you would also decide to pull the heads...and
while we are in there, blah blah blah. :0)

Taking the above into account, a too-loose rocker arm nut, bent pushrod, or even a
single rocker arm stud pulling out are all (relatively) minor repairs. But if you get the
cam lobe/lifter combo quieted one more time with a new nut -- but it won't stay quiet,
then this is a genuine showstopper.

Fingers crossed the engine in your newly acquired GMT400 is only suffering from a minor
flesh wound.

Best of luck --

**This is done at home by removing the rocker arm, and then stacking enough washers
(or equivalent) so that by tightening the nut atop the washer stack you easily pull the stud.
(with a 1/2" breaker bar it's a piece of cake.)

NOTE: The high rpm / High Performance versions of the classic SBC came with screw-in studs
from the factory. They just didn't spend the extra time & effort on Aunt Minnie's grocery
getter, or for that matter our low-rpm trucks with the light valve springs and ECM-based rev limiter.

FWIW there's a good chance that all the rocker arm studs are still 100%. A rocker arm stud
pulling out is definitely a possibility, but not a probability, if you are picking up what I'm putting
down.

Attachments

• SBC screw in rocker arm stud -- Melling MRDS-2920 Melling Rocker Arm Studs  Summit Racing.jpg
    SBC screw in rocker arm stud -- Melling MRDS-2920 Melling Rocker Arm Studs Summit Racing.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
crafty mechanic may pull the pressed in rocker arm stud,** then drill & tap the hole
Wanted to verify this would be a 23/64 and 29/64 cobalt bit needed according to a few vortec 7/16-14 stud replacement vids , that’s what I seen used on a full vortec stud tap and swap .

7/16 tap and 29/64 bit to slightly chamfer the embossment before drilling with the 23/64 bit

This is in the event I only need a stud replacement I hope! That’s all it is if not the nut

I also looked into the drill and roll pin fix ( curious)

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update : Found two scenarios one of the poly lock nuts were on upside down . That may have been my bad when I found the initial loose rocker arm and I checked the push rod I re-installed it upside down
((oval end down))

I installed 8 new melling nuts on the passenger side set the lash it’s quiet now ! But what I realized this time when inspecting the noise ‘ the very
( Last rocker) was loose ? It skipped down the line in some way.
Upon the install of all the new nuts it was hard to define where the noise was coming from until I got to the last Passenger rocker in back and torqued that until it became perfectly quiet . I hope it was the poly locks ~ every stud was level measuring
1 1/4” inches from the embossment flat edge to the top of the stud so I don’t see the issue being the studs .
It could been bad rocker arm nuts .

Only time will tell if it starts again and it ends up being a new rocker loose /clanking at that point I don’t know what would be the cause

So far so good 20 min idle ‘

Flipped rocket arm Nut ~ not seating correctly
You must be registered for see images attach

Studs all at 1 1/4”

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Immediate update : I shut it off after 20m and has a slight hard crank? Not an immediate start like it had And when running has a slight loping idle
I fear rockers are to tight ? Or some ?

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone school me on at least the eye ball method or by hand to get the rockers where they need to be even when noise is gone should I back each one off until I hear chatter then tighten it ever so slightly until it’s gone ?
Do I want some left to right twist on the arms themselves? Even when the chatter is gone and it’s quiet ? Regardless of where each lifter is resting ?
I think I got through 99% of the issue but the current adjustment could end up haunting me

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone school me on at least the eye ball method or by hand to get the rockers where they need to be even when noise is gone should I back each one off until I hear chatter then tighten it ever so slightly until it’s gone ?

Hello A97obs,

Here is a 48 second video that shows you the essence of how to go about a precise hydraulic
lifter preload adjustment on a idling SBC. Note: The video must be watched on YouTube, so
here's the link. EDIT: This is new YouTube behavior? Not allowing certain videos to play
on other sites?

Anyway, to proceed just click on the "Watch on YouTube" phrase below:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

FWIW, there seems to be little debate on how to set the lash on a SBC with solid lifters.
Find the cam specs, determine if they are for cold or hot adjustment, and follow the cam
manufacturer's recommendations.

But there seems to be a lively debate about the best method to set the proper preload
for a SBC running hydraulic lifters. (Flat tappet or roller hydraulic) I know of at least 3:

1) Method outlined in the Factory Service Manual. Of course it's legit, but to pull it off
the mechanic must be 100% on their crankshaft positioning and possess a good 'feel' for
achieving the zero-lash (zero clearance) initial setting so that the desired preload can
be cranked in from there.

1a) Similar to #1, but you set the preload by getting to TDC (compression) on #1,
setting both valves for that cylinder alone, and then turning the crank 90°, and
setting the valves for the next cylinder in the firing order, repeating until all cylinders
are done. This is the way that The Elders taught me a million years ago.

2) There's a second method involving turning the crank to TDC, removing the excess play
from all 16 rocker arm/lifter assemblies. Then turn the crank 90°, check all 16 lifters again,
and remove the excess clearance from any where clearance is now uncovered. (ie: whichever
lifters are now dwelling on the cam's base circle. Turn the crank 90° & check them all again.
Eventually you will end up catching all 16 lifters on the base circle, and all 16 will be zero lashed.

Once all 16 are slop-free, you *then* crank in the desired preload on top of that. Done.

This looks to be a real-world simplification of method #1 in that you don't have to keep
track of cylinder numbering, firing order, intake vs exhaust valve, and finally is TDC #1 on
the compression stroke vs the exhaust stroke. (!) It's pretty cool conceptually, especially
late on Sunday night after a full on weekend thrash...and you have to drive it to work on
Monday. (I plan on trying this for myself on my next build.)

3) Both methods #1 & #2 have the undeniable benefit that you get to set the lash while the
engine is off. Matter of fact I always start off getting the preload as close as I can during
initial engine assembly...but I'm at the point now where I will subsequently perform a final
'running adjustment' to really dial it all in.

My technique is pretty much exactly the same as the 48 second video, with the exception that
while the engine is running I will loosen them until they clatter, tighten them back up until they
just go quiet, and then I leave it be and move right to the next one in line. (This way the engine
doesn't run rough or want to die, causing me to blip the throttle, overcompensate, & slinging
hot oil everywhere.) And yes, this observation is from hard won personal experience. :0)

Once all the lash is set, then I simply shut the engine off and *
NOW* I add my desired amount
of preload to all 8 assemblies on that bank. (1/4 turn, 1/2 turn, etc) After sitting for a minute
or two all the extra height from
the trapped oil in the internal chambers will have bled down, so
when you start it back up it still runs perfectly smooth. It's like a magic trick for your buddies.

Purists will advocate strongly for method #1. And how can you argue with the FSM? Another
forum member has recently advocated for method #2. It makes sense, and is intriguing. Method
#3 is actually not that messy as long as you have an old set of tin valve covers where you cut
the tops off and use a set of deflector clips to keep the oil from shooting on the shop walls.

An optimization would be to use a hole saw and make 8 holes for socket access. By doing this
the shooter holes are covered, and also the far end by the valve stem tip where the oil accumulates
(after lubricating the pivot ball) gets flung. Your choice.

The bottom line is use whatever method that allows YOU to get the same exact preload established
for all 16 of your hydraulic lifters. If you are having difficulty getting this important adjustment
perfected for your engine (not too loose or not too tight) don't feel bad, for this is an area that a
lot of people new to SBC wrenching have trouble getting this right.

Too tight and it's rough running and eventually leading to one or more burned valves. (Valves can't
get rid of their heat into the water jacket unless they are given the opportunity to fully couple with
the valve seat.)

Too loose and the engine sounds horrible. Off bad enough and you run the risk of having 1 or more
pushrods getting unceremoniously kicked out of the oscillating circuit.

Hope the above answered your questions. This is a skill worthy of mastering, and then finding a
young motorhead of the next generation to pass it along to. I am so glad that one of the elders
did just that for a young & impressionable Road Trip way back when paisley vinyl roofs were a thing. :0)

By the way, good find on the flipped rocker arm nut & sharing the photo with us. (!) Also, it's not
unheard of for the engine to crank over a bit slower after getting all the valves set correctly, for the
starter may now be working against higher compression than when the valves were set too tight and
some of the cranking pressure fighting the starter was being bled off. (!)

You are making good progress. Keep up the good work. And continue to let us know what you discover.

Cheers --

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd add that counting and documenting the number of turns when loosening til clacking and tightening to quiet and everything in between was immensely useful in helping me "see" mentally exactly what was going on in the big picture. I'd just turn 1/8 turn, still no clacking, another 1/8 turn still no clacking, a 1/16 ...there's clacking....wait a bit to be sure it doesn't get quiet... start counting my turns the other way....
It was very eye opening to see how much I didn't understand until counting and documenting every move I made..(i'd record my voice then come inside and write everything down). ever since, I've been pretty much predicting what would happen...and what was going on before is right there to see.....
Thanks to Road Trip...

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP
Your motor does Not have poly locks --- yours has plain-jane, common OE interferance nuts --- and No, they are Not something found at a local hardware store.

here is a poly lock image

as someone else has already advised, OE chevy sbc & BBC PRs are indeed hollow --- their formed ends are usually rather thin and Do wear --- they can get very Hot, especially Hot when abused and become weakened, --- Their Ends can & Do fracture and ends can & Do collapse in onto themselves --- inspection of this is SOP.
Same goes for the PR "pocket" that's stamped into OE rocker arms --- that pocket can & does get Hot and weakened and can & Do fracture and then break out.