Resistor bridging the wires on my AC wiring, fitting burnt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBen

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Same as title, it’s 110F out so I’m fixing the ac, the plastic around the wiring looks melted and there seems to be a resistor bridging the two wires. Just asking partially because I’m curious and partially because if it’s not a problem I’ll just roll with it

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Same as title, it’s 110F out so I’m fixing the ac, the plastic around the wiring looks melted and there seems to be a resistor bridging the two wires. Just asking partially because I’m curious and partially because if it’s not a problem I’ll just roll with it

That's actually D104, a diode connected across the wires to the AC compressor clutch. It's job is to divert the inductive kickback
from the clutch coil to ground so that this high voltage spike doesn't travel back into the +12v power system. To find these
components look for the arrow on this wiring diagram:

And the heat damage in that connector is simply from all the time that this connection conducted current while loose.
Mechanical looseness = electrical resistance = localized heat generated. A new, tight connector will be necessary to get this
AC clutch operational again.

Best of luck --

BigBen

Reaction score
That's actually D104, a diode connected across the wires to the AC compressor clutch. It's job is to divert the inductive kickback
from the clutch coil to ground so that this high voltage spike doesn't travel back into the +12v power system. To find these
components look for the arrow on this wiring diagram:

And the heat damage in that connector is simply from all the time that this connection conducted current while loose.
Mechanical looseness = electrical resistance = localized heat generated. A new, tight connector will be necessary to get this
AC clutch operational again.

Best of luck --
Damn I’m glad I asked, thank you so much I’ll go fix that

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that Mitchell or all data, or ?

That's from the air conditioning electrical section of GM's '99 FSM:

Note1: In order to share a more readable electrical diagram (as in reply #2 above) sometimes I have to crop out the non-essential stuff at the top.
Unfortunately this deletes the self-identifying title at the very top of the page.

Note2: The FSMs for the carry-over year ('99) aren't listed in Reply #1 of the manuals thread.
Instead, the link for this year is in reply #77. And from feedback from other members the
'99 manual is a valid reference for the '00 carry-over models as well.

Note3: The OP didn't mention what year GMT400 he was working on. However, once I
got a color match in the '99 wiring diagram and also showing the diode I just decided
to go ahead and answer the question with what I had on hand.

FWIW --