Replacing logos & body molding after painting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99tahoemomma

Reaction score
I had my 99 Tahoe repainted last year, and am just now going to finish up her facelift by replacing all the handles black (they painted them white), as well as the LT stickers and body molding. Just ordered that from LMC truck (I got the pre-cut molding to make my life easier). One positive was they were able to remove the Chevrolet Tahoe logo from the back cargo door without damaging it! I have had that back on for a while now.

Would anyone happen to have the "location" of where the LT logo sits on the side panel? I was hoping someone could help me here before I tried to find one and grab my tape measure!
Same with the body molding? I have a better idea where that sits, under the groove along the body side.

Thanks for the help! I am looking forward to having her back to her original look.... my daughter said she can always spot me from a distance because my door handles are white :)

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can wing it. It is your truck, make it look good to you.

When I did the new side moldings on my girl's truck, the BowTie and 2500 was attached to the side molding itself, on the old ones. I could not find OE style. I got the new side moldings from LMC and my custom knife maker AL friend of mine, took the old emblems and smoothed them on the back and I bought emblem double sided tape and installed the emblems in line with the old, front to rear but moved up and installed/attached the emblems in the channel just above the new side moldings. I like them there, better than the old design of being mounted to the molding itself.

You must be registered for see images attach

99tahoemomma

Reaction score
That looks great! We didn't get the body molding back after she got painted. I just ordered the LMC truck set (should have it today!), so good to know someone else has used it!

I'll post some before and after pics once I get everything done :cool:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you go to install it - lay down some masking tape right above where you intend to install it. Get to one end of the vehicle and sight down that masking tape. It will be crooked as hell. Pull it back to where it's crooked and lay it down again. Repeat until it's straight. It helps if you have a helper who can sight as you lay it down. Once it's down you'll have a very straight guideline for laying down the molding. If you don't use masking tape, you'll kick yourself every time you see it from the right angle and can see that it's crooked.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When you go to install it - lay down some masking tape right above where you intend to install it. Get to one end of the vehicle and sight down that masking tape. It will be crooked as hell. Pull it back to where it's crooked and lay it down again. Repeat until it's straight. It helps if you have a helper who can sight as you lay it down. Once it's down you'll have a very straight guideline for laying down the molding. If you don't use masking tape, you'll kick yourself every time you see it from the right angle and can see that it's crooked.
Yes, I used masking tape and marked before I pulled the old molding off. Came out nice and straight. I could see it when I removed the old molding and saw that it was straight.

GrimsterGMC

Thunder from "Down Under"
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can wing it. It is your truck, make it look good to you.

When I did the new side moldings on my girl's truck, the BowTie and 2500 was attached to the side molding itself, on the old ones. I could not find OE style. I got the new side moldings from LMC and my custom knife maker AL friend of mine, took the old emblems and smoothed them on the back and I bought emblem double sided tape and installed the emblems in line with the old, front to rear but moved up and installed/attached the emblems in the channel just above the new side moldings. I like them there, better than the old design of being mounted to the molding itself.

I did the same although but without the rub strip. It made it less likely to get knocked off if something bumped into it and just looked tidier to me.