Radiator upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cayuse Creek

Reaction score
I have used a Radiator from a 1996 K1500. There must have been a heavy duty group of some sort from 1995 to 1996 for the k1500 trrucks becuase a seach under suburbans and Tahoes, does not bring this up as an option. Advance Auto Parts - Part # 431334. Its 2 3/16 thick. Obviously way thicker then the little 1" stock unit. The only issue is a nipple just under the radiator neck, which my 1998, 1999 trucks do not have. The radiator comes with a cap for it, but its cheap rubber and I bought a silicone cap instead. Also, I recall one of the transmission lines required an adapter, but that also came attached to the radiator. Very simple. I have this radiator in two trucks and it works great.

I spent a lot of time looking a "performance" aluminum radiators, but they seem to be so hit and miss in terms of quailty. I wanted ease of warranty return if there was issues. So far two years and no issues.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only if it matches the fan attached to it.

A "Severe Duty" fan clutch driving a regular-duty fan will never disengage properly.
The severe duty never disengage as much as the junk light duty clutch. In the south many vehicles need the added airflow from spinning the fan at a higher rpm with the clutch disengaged.