Radiator upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 1998 K1500 z71 5.7 4L60e that has a problem heating up when it’s over 90 degrees. When idling at a stop for a couple minutes it can get up to 230-240 degrees. It has a new water pump and thermostat in it because the bearings went out on the water pump. It has a very thin radiator (probably 1 1/4 thick) in it which probably doesn’t appreciate how much I tow with it. Is there a k2500 or k3500 that I could get a radiator and shroud from that would be large and have a thick core?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yes, but.... the radiator is easy, but the shroud and brackets will have to come from a parts truck to install a Vortec 454 radiator. You might also find a thicker radiator that's the same height that would be easier to install.

I would recommend figuring out why your exiting setup is allowing the temperature to rise. I would guess the exiting radiator may be getting plugged up.

Reaction score
The pump is correct, it’s a factory acdelco pump and matched the part number of the one that came off. The radiator as far as I know is the OE radiator but I does have 245k miles on it. I flushed the cooling system when I replaced the pump. If I’m going to replace the radiator I would like to get a large one for my future plans with the truck. When it’s sitting still if I increase rpm to 1k it will keep it from increasing but doesn’t go back down until I get up to speed.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yes you can run a 454 radiatlor, just make sure its a low filler neck, not a 3500HD rad with the tall filler neck.

Otherwise you can fit a wider and thicker 3" rad with your current fan shroud, just take measurements, rock auto is good with supplying accurate measurements.