Questions About My No Crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blake88

Reaction score
Any of you guys have experience with the ignition/starting system? It’s a 1988 C1500 305 with the 5.0 V8. Battery and cables are good, ignition switch and starter are both good. Fusible links all have battery voltage.

My question is about the convenience center and bulkhead connector, could they cause a no crank? I have studied every wiring diagram, and educated myself on every inch of my truck, (that was passed from my Grandpa), and still can’t get it to run.

More info, not sure if related. Instrument cluster doesn’t luminate, radio no power, 3 headlights no power. When keys in start position the tempature gauge goes all the way up, then goes back down after turning key off. The clock light and thermostat for the AC/Heater lights go out when I turn the key to start.

Anyone taking time to help has my gratitude. Close to just giving up and figured I would give it another go to see if anyone could help. Appreciate y'allNo Crank Video.

jd33173

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dont give up, you will feel great once its fixed! Seems like several different issues which may or may not be related. It sounds like SOMETHING is happening when you hit the key. How long since it ran? Can the engine physically rotate( ie not locked up)? How did you test the battery and/or starter? It sounds to me like a bad starter or battery. Do you have a battery w the side mount terminals? These can look ok but be rotted out.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you bypass the truck crank circuit by connecting the B+ terminal on the starter to the solenoid terminal does the engine crank? If not you have a problem with the main B+ or ground connections to the engine.

Based on the reactions when you turn the key to start I believe the circuits that go dark are working correctly.

Someone else recently had a similar issue and I believe it was found to be a failed wire feeding the convenience center. Check for battery voltage at all of the fuses in the convenience center, some will reqiure the key to be on, others will not. That may help point you in the correct direction.