Putting a Caprice engine (L05-7) into a 92 g30 van (has L80e trans)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may run into a scenario where you have the knock sensor being triggered but do not hear audible knock.
Yeah, I've never heard spark knock on this engine but, I do get KCs. Another way to tell is by looking at your spark plugs for "peppering" spots on the porcelain.

Here's a link to see what plugs can look like
www.dynamicefi.com/SparkPlug.php

Danboquist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TIming number is largely irrelevant to me. I look for it to run under load without spark knocking. Spark knock sounds like shaking a can half full of marbles. I also look for the best power while maintaining a decent idle quality and also want a clean hot restart without the engine kicking back on the starter dragging it. Generally speaking optimizing the timing gives better throttle response and fuel mileage and makes the engine have more torque across the whole rpm range at every throttle position. Assuming the balancer/timing pointer are accurate and it still has the stock chip, you will probably end up in the 4-10° BTDC range with the EST wire disconnected at idle. The TBI calibration does not have much in the way of total advance at WOT. It starts out negative and tops out around 18-24* depending on the specific BCC of the chip. TBI heads like about 26-30* total timing on 87 octane. It would be benificial to have a laptop with an OBD1 datalogging cable and TunerProRT with the scanner definition .ADX file for the ECM the van runs. If you have too much timing it will show up as knock retard. You may run into a scenario where you have the knock sensor being triggered but do not hear audible knock.
What you are saying makes a lot of sense.
Ive been looking into TurnerProRt. It seems like pretty good software. Ill get a cable.

Danboquist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Picture 1 is the "new" van.
Picture 2 is the fuel pressure tester that I rigged up using a piece of old fuel line and a water pressure gauge. Just screw it into the fuel line at the throttle body. I registered about 60 psi when I cranked the engine.

Attachments

• NewVan.jpg
    NewVan.jpg
    658.8 KB · Views: 6
  • PressureTester.jpg
    PressureTester.jpg
    480.8 KB · Views: 6

Danboquist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It demonstrates that the fuel pump does at least actually run to some degree.
Also, unhooking the fuel line from the throttle body (to hook up my contraption) was where I was able to visibly see that the throttle body was clogged up and that that the throttle body was the problem, not the pump or the relay or the fuel line.
Necessity is the mother of invention, they say.
Before this, I was able to test the fuel pump relay was getting the correct signals. I watched a troubleshooting video by ScannerDanner on Youtube. He was testing a square relay (mine is oval shaped), the same pins are in both but they are labeled and arranged differently. The only pin that I wasnt able to be sure about was his pin 30, which allows you to send the signal to the fuel pump to run. Because I wasn't sure about that one, I passed on that test because I didnt want to cross the wrong ones.
My notes are attached on testing the relay.

Attachments

• RelayTest.pdf
    92.8 KB · Views: 1

Danboquist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
None of you guys/gals would have a bin file for a:
- ECU 16147060
- PROM BAJW
have -> 85.xdf and A138.adx
That you would be willing to share? I'm waiting on my cable to get here and it is taking forever.. I'd really like to see what all is in there..
This is my ECU -

Attachments

• computerProm.jpg
    computerProm.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
None of you guys/gals would have a bin file for a:
- ECU 16147060
- PROM BAJW
That you would be willing to share? I'm waiting on my cable to get here and it is taking forever.. I'd really like to see what all is in there..
This is my ECU -
There is one on Gearhead-EFI.

Danboquist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is one on Gearhead-EFI.

Sorry, I failed to mention that I registered there 3-4 days ago and havent been allowed in yet. I sent them an email today. Hopefully they will respond. Thanks.

Danboquist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did get access to GearHead's site and got the files that I needed.
I ran the truck a little at first with initial timing around 4*BTDC.
Then I jacked up the advance a little at the distributor and took it for a drive and logged.
I had to build a couple of history tables to get a good spread on the results, but this is what I have so far: My logging data and existing tables..
- Advance - RPM v Load (not sure initial advance was added to these numbers)
- VE Efficiency - RPM and Load

Attachments

• VERPMLOADORIG.png
    VERPMLOADORIG.png
    260.4 KB · Views: 4
  • VERPMLOAD.png
    VERPMLOAD.png
    79.4 KB · Views: 4
  • ADVRPMLOAD.png
    ADVRPMLOAD.png
    114.2 KB · Views: 4
  • ADVRPMLOADORIG.png
    ADVRPMLOADORIG.png
    218.8 KB · Views: 4

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Advance - RPM v Load (not sure initial advance was added to these numbers)
Nope, the ECM doesn't know what you set the initial timing unless you tell it in the .bin so, at idle showing 20° advance, it's actually that plus your 4° (or whatever) so, it's running 24° advanced.