Power Steering Problems after Steering Gearbox Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRoberts1278

Reaction score
I have a 1994 GMC K1500 Pickup with 395,000 miles on it. My steering gearbox has been leaking a lot of fluid lately and has a significant amount of play in the steering. Because of this, I replaced the steering gearbox with a remanufactured unit. Once I had it installed, the power steering lines hooked up, and fluid in the power steering reservoir, I could not get the fluid to travel to the steering box. I tried the bleeding procedure of turning the steering wheel from lock to lock, but the fluid level in the reservoir never decreased. I turned the steering wheel lock to lock 100 times trying to get the fluid to move into the box, but it never did. The system only has one quart of fluid in it, and I know that it should hold more. I have not noticed any power steering pump issues, but I wonder if my power steering pump is not pumping. I have been told that the problem could be the pump, and I have been told that it could be a defective steering box. Any suggestions?

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tried the bleeding procedure of turning the steering wheel from lock to lock, but the fluid level in the reservoir never decreased. I turned the steering wheel lock to lock 100 times trying to get the fluid to move into the box, but it never did.
What gear box did you install? What did the instructions say?
At some point it may be useful to follow your manual's instructions closely but, after you sort out whatever you are supposed to do for the new box. Maybe it doesn't matter.
I had no problem following instructions with a new steering box but, when I replaced my ps pump, the method that worked for me was the simple factory method.
You must be registered for see images attach

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The above refill instructions are spot on. Too many times, the installer does the first steering wheel, lock to lock, with front tires on the ground. That is a big no. When I do the first turns, I don't even have the motor running. I do it very slow and monitor the fluid level. Then with the motor running and watch the fluid level. Then and only then, drop it to the ground and repeat. Then road test and check fluid a couple times during that drive. Use power steering fluid and not transmission fluid.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say this, but the pump may have been OK before - but if it's been run extremely low on fluid since the gearbox replacement, it may no longer be any good.

Time to follow the service manual instructions for bleeding and hope for the best. Not to be too negative; it might be OK, depends on a lot of variables.

Richard

JRoberts1278

Reaction score
Thank you to all that replied with information. I got the air out of the system, and the truck drives fine now. The only issue that I am dealing with at the moment is the remanufactured steering gear box has an extreme amount of play in it. I have read that others have had the same issue out of remanned boxes. I can turn the steering wheel from 10 to 2 without the front tires turning. My old box had enough play in it that a repair shop told me that to get the alignment better I would have to replace the steering gearbox first. I am set to have the tires replaced soon and have another alignment done. I feel that I had to replace the gearbox, but I have made the steering worse instead of better. The old gearbox also had a massive fluid leak.

jd33173

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you to all that replied with information. I got the air out of the system, and the truck drives fine now. The only issue that I am dealing with at the moment is the remanufactured steering gear box has an extreme amount of play in it. I have read that others have had the same issue out of remanned boxes. I can turn the steering wheel from 10 to 2 without the front tires turning. My old box had enough play in it that a repair shop told me that to get the alignment better I would have to replace the steering gearbox first. I am set to have the tires replaced soon and have another alignment done. I feel that I had to replace the gearbox, but I have made the steering worse instead of better. The old gearbox also had a massive fluid leak.
I also had to replace my steering box due to leaking (went with a borgeson - very sharp steering now) but had other issues too - have you looked at the ragjoint and steering shaft? Those were both shot on my truck and replacing them made a huge difference too.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread out of ENGINES and into Stock Suspension + Bolt On Kits.

I got the air out of the system,
How did you get the fluid to flow?

the remanufactured steering gear box has an extreme amount of play in it.
Two realistic choices.
1. Return the box as defective, install the warranty replacement, hope for the best; or
2. Perform the two adjustments on the box you have, perhaps while still installed on the vehicle.

Both of these assume that it's actually the steering box that is the source of the vague steering, and not the infamous rag-joint, or worn-out steering/suspension components. Both the rag joint and steering/suspension components are strongly suspect until proven good.

JRoberts1278

Reaction score
I would move this thread to the stock suspension and bolt-on kits if I knew how to do so. I started this thread with a power steering issue, so I assumed that I was in the right place with the problem being under the hood.

To answer a question that I was asked of the air in the system and fluid flow, the fluid flow is questionable. The system only held about a quart of power steering fluid and the reservoir is full. I think the remanned box may be defective, and I am looking at getting the box warrantied. I do not know anything about the two adjustments other than I have read not to perform any adjustments on it.

JDGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before you install the next gearbox - flush the lines and cooler if you have one. Confirm you have good flow before installing the next gearbox.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have checked all the ball joints, rod ends, frame attachment bolts, both sides? When slowly turning the wheel is there significant lag before the steer arm moves. Worn joints, ( high miles) every small wear clearance all add up and are magnified at steering wheel.
When stated there was trouble bleeding, was there no power feel, was the wheel hard to turn, as if no power assist?