Different sized seat belts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haroldwca

Reaction score
This is a new one for me. I'm a 5-year immigrant to GMT 400s, having migrated from Squarebodies, so I don't know everything about these trucks. Yet. I love learning a new project and its product line variants, and now I'm onto my second GMT400, a 1994 Blazer that needs to have everything replaced inside, starting with the front seat belts since neither side works.

I noticed that the Blazer seatbelt housing (the plastic) is shared by extended cab pickups, but not the standard cab trucks or Suburbans. Having spotted and bought a usable set of belts at the local you-pull-it yard in a wrecked EC truck, I bought them. After laying in my garage for a week (the belts, not me), I finally found some free time and installed them. I jumped in the driver's seat to go for a victory lap, and realized that the fastener from the belt would not insert into the receiver, which was original to the Blazer. No, I didn't buy the receivers from the donor truck to save a few bucks. Turned out not to be my best call.

After examining the receiver, I determined there was no obstruction. The fastener was simply too large. I measured the original fastener (Blazer) and the replacement (EC) - there is a 3/16" difference in width of the blade. I will be going to the pick-it yard tomorrow for the receivers from the donor truck (hope they haven't crushed it yet).

I don't really have a question, except "Has anyone else noticed this"? I can't imagine why GM would tool up two different sized seat belt fasteners and receivers for the same product line. It wasn't like this in Squarebody-ville! Actually I am very happy with my Blazer and it's predecessor, an '88 SB/SC. I bought both of these vehicles for a grand total of $2300, and brought both of them back from the dead. They are both now at the "reliable daily driver status" and are taking shape cosmetically as I have time. I'll post some pics when they're done.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not just the latches may be different, the belts length may also be different.
Since there are a few different cab styles. Std cab. Ext cab. Ext cab w/ third door. Crew cab. Bench seats. Bucket seats. Therefore the best plan is use the same year, model , style. Or look up the part number , and select what other models use this part. To widen your available choices.
I wouldn't guess at belt and latches all being the same, as there are so many interior configurations .
Using junk yard belts is some thing I wouldn't do. Unless it was for the hardware to have new webbing installed.
Its a little over 100$ for new certificated webbing installed seat belts. Don't skimp on lifesaving materials. Your choice.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
It's a split in year models - came around 1992/3-1994 somewhere about there. It's two different vendors, TRW and Bendix.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard