Pontiac Rallys on c1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
They'll almost surely be for a car that had 1/2" studs but they -might- fit (the truck uses 14mm); I've seen several different old GM car wheels on GMT400's. Most common seemed to be the chrome Buick Riviera 5 spoke wheels from the mid-late 60's.

Are you sure the ones you're looking at are 5x5? There were a lot of both patterns depending on what model of vehicle - 5x4.75 or 5x5.

Richard

barelyidle

Reaction score
Yep they're 5x5 ones, noticed the stud thing I figure theyll be a bit tight a little lube maybe some massaging might be required, which sounds like a good time at first but careful business so worth an ask on here. Someone has to have tried. Any idea on the hub bore, that seems to be the only other stumbling point, did the rims vary in bore size over the years?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
They'll almost surely be for a car that had 1/2" studs but they -might- fit (the truck uses 14mm); I've seen several different old GM car wheels on GMT400's. Most common seemed to be the chrome Buick Riviera 5 spoke wheels from the mid-late 60's.

Are you sure the ones you're looking at are 5x5? There were a lot of both patterns depending on what model of vehicle - 5x4.75 or 5x5.

Richard
As far as I can remember, the GM vehicles that use the 5x5" pattern, also use 1/2" SAE studs. Which are just a tad smaller than the 14mm ones. Might be able to carefully ream the lug holes out, if they don't go on easily, but you definitely do not want to overdo this!

barelyidle

Reaction score
Haha no kidding. What I’m hoping to hear is someone tried, and how it went. The difference is 1.295mm remembering that’s on each studs circle, so .6475mm on each side for easy figuring. Not much. There might be just that in looseness of the circle from the factory and with a little red and tacky might just slip them right on.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I remember a guy brought in a set of " Trans Am , snowflake " style wheels . Wanted the BF Goodrich TA "'s . Pulled off the US mags then installed in the Trans Am wheels. While doing the demount/ remount, I asked " so what , ya gotta trans am?"
No, I'm putting those Trans Am Wheels on my short Chevy pickup. " Uh, did you check the bolt pattern and space?" ( I can see it , what the hell you know kid ) " Oh they'll fit just fine " Those few words, have imploded many good ideas.
You know what's next right? :Moon:
The next day I walk in the shop, there's the same 8 wheels and 4 tires. A work order with " demount and remount and balance. " Trust but verify. A little research saves dollars.
:doh2:

barelyidle

Reaction score
Yes @GoToGuy he was an idiot & you are wise. And not being sarcastic at all. Straight up. But, In this case the variables are not easily researchable when you’re talking about 1/20th of an inch. a quarter inch for some snowflakes is a little different. A place like here is an excellent resource if someone has already done it. Which I know they have for Buick riv rims, but I haven’t seen Pontiac’s yet. Which you’d think would be the same but do we know for sure? Negative

Where I live you wont have the luxury of doing a trial fit when you get to Johnny Quicksales place to grab them. He wont appreciate that. & For 5x5s might have an hour or two make your decision and get over there. They sell fast. Certainly not enough time to figure out if all those years of vehicle production for Pontiac rallys varied in hub size or if there’s enough play in a 1/2” Pontiac stud hole to fit an extra 1.29mm. At that point your splitting hairs with a razor blade and someone by chance saying hey trust me it works I put them on my 97…It was tight but you're all good, is confidence enough.

Last edited: