Aluminum rims corroding, leaking air, help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hadda buy solid tires for my lawn/garden cart.

Can't keep Father-In-Law's snow blower tires aired-up, and the same with my buddy's stick-and-branch chipper.

I've got multiple hand-trucks that need the tires filled every time I use 'em.

I put new front tires on my JD D170 riding lawn mower. One holds air pretty well, the other needs filling about every month.

It's like trying to keep a small-engine carburetor in tune. Near hopeless.

OlSmokie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Little late to the thread, but I finally did something about my snow tire rims. A couple have been leaking for a while, but last year they were all flat so I didn't use them.
I had them taken off the rims and they cleaned up nice. I probably didn't even need the bead sealer, but I had already bought it so I used it.

Attachments

• 20240917_181530.jpg
    20240917_181530.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240918_184411.jpg
    20240918_184411.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 10

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Little late to the thread, but I finally did something about my snow tire rims. A couple have been leaking for a while, but last year they were all flat so I didn't use them.
I had them taken off the rims and they cleaned up nice. I probably didn't even need the bead sealer, but I had already bought it so I used it.
Those wheels for your winter set.. my heart hurts!!

Richard

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
They actually look like crap. Pealing clearcoat.
Yeah, I can see that.. but they can be stripped and refinished. They're not a common wheel, especially not anymore.

I still kinda kick myself over letting go of this nearly-new take-off set I'd scored years ago. They bought the truck new, drove it a very short time before buying aftermarket wheels and stored the wheels and caps in the aftermarket wheel boxes. I wasn't planning on building anything 5 lug that could run 15's so I ended up selling them. They were beautiful, and the first set I'd seen where you could still see the goldish-brown color of the pockets instead of them just looking sort of black.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm a lot late to the thread, but corroded aluminum rims can almost always be fixed. Clean the beads up with a broken in wire wheel, make em shiny, then put as much bead sealer on as necessary. When done properly, we've never had a customer come back. (Unless it's something else.)