Plasti-Dipped Rockers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sorry, no disrespect, but with all the other money you have in that truck, why just now take the cheap way out? it might just be me, but do it right, and do it once, you wont be happy with it in a few months, or atleast thats what im guessing

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know what it's specifically supposed to be used for...All I know is there are 1,000,000 videos of nice ass cars on youtube with plasti-dipped wheels or plasti-dipped pin stripes on 11' Camaro's and also a video of a dude who did his rocker panels and took a pressure washer to them point blank, and nothing, along with several other videos of people who've had it on their vehicles 6 months or so with no signs of wear.

Automotive bondo is at home depot. Does that mean it's not for vehicles? Plasti-dip is for alot of different surfaces. Best one, metal. Metal is found on all automotive vehicles. I just put a big first coat on the passenger side of my truck here's a pic. The driver's side is already done. It looks pretty grey with the huge spotlight on it at night. I'm eager to see it in the daylight. All I know is it looks good and flat black in all of the daytime videos i've seen so I dunno why mine would be any different.
Here's a daytime shot right as soon as I started the driver side.
You must be registered for see images attach

10 minutes ago the passenger: You'll see the grey look I'm talking about

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sorry, no disrespect, but with all the other money you have in that truck, why just now take the cheap way out? it might just be me, but do it right, and do it once, you wont be happy with it in a few months, or atleast thats what im guessing

I know what you're thinking but do your research. It's easy to say oh that's not going to last, but I have countless people with this on their WHEELS. The part of the car that gets the most direct abuse, and not a chip, nothing after 6 months of wear and tear. So what if it does flake a little? I pull it off in 10 seconds all as one it comes off easy. I will be pulling it off down the road and actually painting the rockers but for now it looks great. Let me prove it:

Yeap I just took everything off it's done. People do say to take a razor blade to the tape but I wasn't sure of what technique they were talking about so I just gently removed it and it came away clean. I went down to the church where I got some light and the grey sort of went away not like before with that direct light. I won't know for sure until I see it tomorrow in the light, but here's some pics for now. I've been waiting a decade to be de-molded and the time has come.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha yes I am but I don't want anyone to miss this. Quite a ballsy move I must say. I can't wait to see it in the mornin. That will be the moment of truth.

Thread starts out with guys asking about doing something...a couple hours later he's done it and everyone's wondering how in the hell he did it all so fast...I feel I owe the pics to thread atleast :D Just de molding one of these should take a whole day :evillol:

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
um... well, idk who you talked to, they must not be the best of drivers, there is no way your wheels get the most abuse, that would be your paint... unless you have 28inch rims and you tires are low profile, especially with the way your tires set out over the wheel

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No I just mean most people plasti dip the wheels which are constantly spinning, heat up, and catching everything else the rockers do so why should I be any more worried about my rocker panels than the people that have this done to their wheels? Just get on you tube and check out all the people with 6 month old plast-dipped wheels/hood/whatever. I think you're missing the point. It was what, less than $20 and I'm now de-molded?

So what if a month goes by and there's a huge rip in it? Guess what? rrRRRiIIIIPPPP that **** off in 10 seconds and rhino line the rockers or paint them flat black....It's a win/win. All I know is it's looking good and I'm de molded I could care less if it chips up next week! I'm not mad or anything I'm just trying to prove my point from my perspective. It was about $6 a can I think someone asked how much it was earlier.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys, I am slowly but surely becoming a huge plasti dic fan. This stuff is just amazing. I found a huge thread on it over on GMFS done by steve and there is TONS of great info about this stuff and everyones putting it on their brand new and old trucks over there, I love it. Here's the link for anyone who is curious to do this soon! It's blowing up but don't be surprised if this **** is hard to find on the shelves at the local hardware stores! They must be making a killing!!

Here's a great thread about plasti dip
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231901&page=20