Picked up a 93’ 1500 first tbi truck nv4500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I think that is the return line for the vapor canister, that gets vapor from the fuel tank. The end looks like what's on my crew cab; I have to plug it back in periodically.
Yes just there’s been a handful of wtfs …it was a Tennessee truck work truck really decent, they kept the basics in line.. but I’ve found some odd wonky things I’ve been finding .

I know there’s no canister there just the horn on the core support . I just was wondering what all I would need and if they got rid of it due to some other reasons maybe a tank issue.
I can’t find a 93 engine bay illustration but I assume maybe I just need the canister

A new canister shows a few plastic elbow ports for vacuum ?
I don’t see any vacuum lines left off or anywhere around

This is for a 93 new canister
You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Seems after reading on a few topics here I’m missing some components mainly a canister . I don’t think this 93 used a purge valve or anything. There are no evident plugs just the vent line .
Would all I need is just a new canister and mount/bracket
Does that hardline press fit or use some kind of a clip
That plastic line fits into a rubber fitting on the top of the canister. Originally they probably were "press fit" but after nearly 3 decades of underhood heat, that rubber has shrunk a little bit. So the line pops out.... Doesn't help when Houston streets are rough cracked, and this is a one ton so it definitely "rides like a truck" with no load in the bed.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That plastic line fits into a rubber fitting on the top of the canister. Originally they probably were "press fit" but after nearly 3 decades of underhood heat, that rubber has shrunk a little bit. So the line pops out.... Doesn't help when Houston streets are rough cracked, and this is a one ton so it definitely "rides like a truck" with no load in the bed.
My truck is a 97 Vortec 5.7 so it might be a little bit different.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like your canister is gone.
I read something about some late models didnt use purge valves they were vacuum operated

This is a 1993 c1500 eBay second hand canister .. shows tank labeled and has some rubber Elbow plastic line
That one line I assume pulls vaccum from the tbi riser or some port off the intake ? And the other port I would attach the steel vent line to

I mean, I could possibly run by a bone yard and maybe find an 88-93 with a TBI motor to get an example .. just see what the routing looks like. I just have no knowledge on tbi egr setup of this era ..or what it would be without seeing and with all the lines missing. I assume it’s as simple as I just mentioned or figured someone here had an example with all the tbi owners on the forum .
My two concerns were not harming the motor or myself…or others if I’m running an open vent line from the tank. Trying to make all the quirks right this seems the be the last and main issue besides the heater blendoor is clicking like mad

Last edited:

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That plastic line fits into a rubber fitting on the top of the canister
Where does that other end of the plastic line ( route ) to ? Does it go directly to a specific valve or vacuum port on the intake that’s the main misunderstanding

For example there two Purge and vent valves one electric one not I guess .. I don’t even know how to figure out what I need… but it shows both under a 93”

Last edited:

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard line to canister. Use a piece of fuel hose between the hard line and the canister. From the canister to the TBI it’s a piece of hard vacuum line. Your emissions decal should have the routing.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
No evap purge valve on a '93; first year for it was '94. The "tank" fitting connects to that line from your tank. The "purge" fitting connects to the TBI at the driver side lower port, below the large PCV connection. The capped one labeled "air cleaner" is a vent; it stays as is.

The vacuum diagrams in the factory service manuals have all this info and more, of course.

Richard

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hard line to canister. Use a piece of fuel hose between the hard line and the canister. From the canister to the TBI it’s a piece of hard vacuum line. Your emissions decal should have the routing.
I have it finished pretty sure it’s good to go!
I ran 1/4” Ni-cop I had extra around as a hard line
Bent and formed fitted to the inlets with 1/4” fuel injection line .

Just verifying leaving the center port alone labeled (Air cleaner ) on the canister as you mentioned ?

I don’t see where I can run a line to and it as shown so left it with the cap it came with

Left the center alone ( Air cleaner)

Purge line ran from to tbi

The emissions diagram which I do have some of it left shows ( vent) with nothing ran off canister

Last edited: