Truck is eating slaves like crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is there not a fancy pants Tilton option for a slave and master? That's where I'd throw my money, especially if you're paying labor for all this.

Yamal

Reaction score
Not paying labor at all. Missed that bullet cuz I work for a weld shop with some space. Only reason I took it over to a pro shop is because I didn’t want to buy a vacuum bleeder lol.

Started her up today to see if it was still causing problems. Not really as bad. I wonder if it’s temperature dependent.

Cheyenee35

Reaction score
From my experience...I've spent many hours trying to find master/slave cylinders that don't fail within a year. NV4500 that the local transmission shop put a new clutch in. I asked for a HD clutch, and now my pedal pressure is through the roof. I was blowing the plastic cylinders within six to ten months. Finally found the aluminum body cylinders and have had mixed results. Current slave cylinder is over two years old and still going. Was a jungle website find, but is no longer sold there. I believe this one on the rock web site is the same: EXEDY SC889.

One trick I've learned when I can't get all the air out is to unbolt the master, clamp it to something with the nose down, tail up, and then bleed it by compressing the slave. This helps any air trapped under the master to find its way out. That and when you think you have all the air out, try pressing the clutch rod by hand. I've found a few bubbles caught under the master this way. Again, one man's experience, I cannot quote a service manual.

No end of frustration with routing the molded hose that runs between the cylinders. I have the 6.5TD and it is a pain to get that hose in there. I purchased SAE adapter fittings (Russell 640281) and a braided brake hose from Summit to replace the molded hose. The hose I used is the Aeroquip 50" AER-FBPA0039-50, but looks like Summit doesn't carry it anymore. I've been happier with it then the molded hose.

Best of luck with it all.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
From my experience...I've spent many hours trying to find master/slave cylinders that don't fail within a year. NV4500 that the local transmission shop put a new clutch in. I asked for a HD clutch, and now my pedal pressure is through the roof. I was blowing the plastic cylinders within six to ten months. Finally found the aluminum body cylinders and have had mixed results. Current slave cylinder is over two years old and still going. Was a jungle website find, but is no longer sold there. I believe this one on the rock web site is the same: EXEDY SC889.

One trick I've learned when I can't get all the air out is to unbolt the master, clamp it to something with the nose down, tail up, and then bleed it by compressing the slave. This helps any air trapped under the master to find its way out. That and when you think you have all the air out, try pressing the clutch rod by hand. I've found a few bubbles caught under the master this way. Again, one man's experience, I cannot quote a service manual.

No end of frustration with routing the molded hose that runs between the cylinders. I have the 6.5TD and it is a pain to get that hose in there. I purchased SAE adapter fittings (Russell 640281) and a braided brake hose from Summit to replace the molded hose. The hose I used is the Aeroquip 50" AER-FBPA0039-50, but looks like Summit doesn't carry it anymore. I've been happier with it then the molded hose.

Best of luck with it all.
The weird thing about that Exedy SC889 is that it doesn't come up for me when I search under my application (1993 GMC C3500 7.4) but I can find it through a part # search. It's available from many sellers but almost none of them have application data listed. I did find an ebay auction for it that has applications and every single one of them is 6.5 only, which makes no sense; if it fits an NV4500 in a 6.5 truck it should also fit with a 7.4, etc.

Anyhow, it does appear to be the correct one. What about the one you got makes you feel the Exedy is the same exact part as the one you're currently running? It does have a couple distinctive things that set it apart from the other offerings, at least that I've noticed, so I'm wondering if we're seeing the same things.

I just installed the Perfection set and I'm hoping it will last...not super confident though.

Richard

Robsez65

Reaction score
Oh the pain I would get from my slave also!!!!..EVERY 6 months it would go out! It had got to the point that I bought an extra one, so I could swap it out and take the other one back for an exchange, so I would have a new one to put back in next time. These were under warranty. It was the only option that the green guys, had. After the last clutch disc failure.. along with another slave failure.. I changed brands. I got the Luk .. master & slave. (I did check the forum here also to see if anyone else had similar issues.) The Luk brand was suggested . It has been the winner for me. I also had a throw out bearing that failed and caused almost the same parts listed replaced ! Bearing was smashed and Mal formed. This is a daily driver also!

Attachments

• 20230425_002817.jpg
    20230425_002817.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 6

Robsez65

Reaction score
Oh my gosh..I feel the pain also! And ,YES...It's real! Hope you get a good set this time. I changed them out for several years...and just came to the conclusion, that it was going to be a general maintenance item..ugh!

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If this is the outside of the bell housing type slave, then here are my very experienced thoughts:

1.) Was the clutch fork installed correctly? You'd be surprised how many people get that wrong, even pros. The fork spring on the back does not go on the lip of the throw out bearing. The entire fork goes between the throw out bearing.
2.) raise the front of the truck, and sit it on jack stands to bleed the system. Not just a little either... Jack that bad boy all the way up.

If #1 is correct, then #2 solves 99.9999999% of all bleed headaches. You can thank me later.

As far as slaves go (and masters for that matter), as some have said already, that's a crap shoot. I've changed mine about 5 times over the life of my truck, but I still have the original master... Which has a much bigger reservoir (long square white one). If I'm not mistaken, LMC still sells that version. That little cup one is a joke.