Over-cooling problem is driving me crazy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the fan clutch and cap but no time to put them on. I will update when it's done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zbaber

Reaction score
I'm dealing with this same issue. I just replaced tstat with a Stant 195... replace fan clutch because mine was very stiff... and did a garden hose coolant flush & I'm pretty confident there is no air in the system. I get to 1/4 mark on the guage (I assume about 150 degrees) and never any higher. Air from heater is slightly warm-ish at best.

My lower fan shroud is not there (previous owner did 3'' body lift and left it off)

Having no heat sucks on these cold days!

TwoPedal98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, trucks running right at 165, it gets up to 195 shortly after starting and then as soon as the t-stat opens it's right down to 165, can hammer on it, let it idle forever and it never gets any warmer, and the heat sucks, t-stat is only a couple weeks old (didn't make a difference when I changed it) there's plenty of flow when I have the cap off, I've tried "burping" the system more then a few times, never seems to have air in it, fan clutch seems to be operating properly. I'm going to cut a piece of card board and cover about 1/3 of the radiator and see if it makes any difference. I'm just about out of options before I start replacing radiators and heater cores and whatever else!!

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My heater core was already leaking so I has to replace it. The heat got better but the temp problem remained. I did get the new rad. cap on and tried "burping" today but no change. I'm going to wait a few days to do the fan clutch so I can throw on a plastic 11 blade fan also.

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try some cardboard. I put a pizza box lid in front of mine because I was tired of waiting for it to warm up, it helped with no side effects.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New fan clutch and 11 blade fan are in. Still isn't getting up to temp. I looked in the reserve bottle and it's really dirty. I'm getting frustrated now so maybe it's time to drop it off with a shop and have them handle it. There are a few other nagging problems that need to be addressed too.

On the other hand, the 11 blade fan was a pain the the butt to install but it's so much more quiet than the steel 5 blade one. Good upgrade!

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First thing I would do is flush entire system, especially now that you see inside the res is dirty. Maybe an electric fan/thermal switch?

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did flush it out when I replaced the water pump and heater core a few weeks ago. Filled with water and ran some cleaner through so I thought it would have cleaned out fairly well. I hope oil isn't getting into the coolant...

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today I put cardboard in front of a quarter to a third of the radiator and the temp is still fluctuating. Should I try blocking off half or will it even matter?