Oil leak from bottom of oil dipstick tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigblue92

Reaction score
1992 K1500 5.7L (TBI)

I unbolted the oil dipstick tube from the head to do head gaskets, bolted it back up, and it's now leaking from where the groove/bump on the tube is supposed to sit in the block. I'm unsure where I should go from here.

I first thought it was a pcv valve, because I did wind up cracking the plastic on the valve, so I replaced it along with the line, but even after replacing it, it still leaks.

Any insights would be appreciated

Wolvrine82

Reaction score
I don't know if those have an o-ring, but if not I know we use green loctite on twin cylinder briggs and stratton dipstick tubes and it works really well.

bigblue92

Reaction score
I don't think they do have an o-ring. I didn't see one when I originally pulled it out, but my boss (I work at a small garage) suggested to do that, and use back gasket maker (black RTV) to try to create a seal. If that doesn't work, I'll consider the green loctite

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1992 K1500 5.7L (TBI)

I unbolted the oil dipstick tube from the head to do head gaskets, bolted it back up, and it's now leaking...

...I first thought it was a pcv valve, because I did wind up cracking the plastic on the valve, so I replaced it along with the line
1. Did the dipstick tube get bent in the process?

2. Is the PCV system WORKING? No pressure build-up in the crankcase?

3. 1997 C/K service manual page 6A-246 specifies GM "Teflon" sealant 12346004. Locktite/Permatex 592 is the equivalent.

bigblue92

Reaction score
1. Did the dipstick tube get bent in the process?

2. Is the PCV system WORKING? No pressure build-up in the crankcase?

3. 1997 C/K service manual page 6A-246 specifies GM "Teflon" sealant 12346004. Locktite/Permatex 592 is the equivalent.
I'm not sure if the dipstick tube got bent, I can't remember.

I replaced the PCV valve and line going from the valve to the TB yesterday. The old one was all gunked up.

I used some ultra black permatex, I'm going to start the truck up sometime after work