Oil Consumption Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought one of those melling oil filter adapters for a sbc a number of years ago and the quality was awful. i bought it to save myself a trip to the wrecker. it was VERY easy for the bypass fiber disc to get hung up and essentially allow the oil not get filtered. I never used the mellings one and threw it directly into the trash. got a used one and ran that.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Certainly since advent of iron Vortec iron heads, GM quit with the square O-ring wrapped around valve stem just above locks --- but instead, has since used a positive seal mounted atop valve guide.
FWIW, the venerable GM L31 iron Vortec 5.7L V8 remains in production as a replacement motor (all new, Not reman).

GM's OE "umbrella" WAS simply a stamped steel shroud thats integral to retainer and WAS typically employed in conjunction with an O-ring; again, superseded by positive seal. Rubber/polymer umbrellas that ride along with valve stem (acting as a shroud) are available in aftermarket and are often retrofitted as an economical tactic.

Last edited:

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5w-30. I believe that is what the stock engine calls for. Is that the correct oil filter? Thought it was a PF52E.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5w-30. I believe that is what the stock engine calls for. Is that the correct oil filter? Thought it was a PF52E.
PF52e is probably correct for a motor that has the OE adapter that also has the OE EOC lines.
But OP replaced that adapter with a clone of the GM Non-EOC adapter ... and it requires a quite different filter like PF454.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am confused. I removed the oil cooler lines. The oil cooler is part of the radiator.
If the oil cooler was restricted, it would increase the likelyhood of leaks on the supply hose.

Bypassing a restricted cooler would result in better oil pressure/more volume.

I put a new pcv valve in t and everything looked ok.
Did you verify that the hose from PCV valve to vacuum source (TBI nipple) had no oil in it?

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PF52e is probably correct for a motor that has the OE adapter that also has the OE EOC lines.
But OP replaced that adapter with a clone of the GM Non-EOC adapter ... and it requires a quite different filter like PF454.
It’s shorter since the adapter is for a 2-wheel drive, not 4 - it lacks the right angle hence the need for clearance.

buckbros

Reaction score
Is there an OE adapter available other than the Melling that will work on my truck without the oil cooler lines? I'm hearing bad things about the Melling.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there an OE adapter available other than the Melling that will work on my truck without the oil cooler lines? I'm hearing bad things about the Melling.

All those older sbc have OE adapters that'll work; JunkYard or GM dealership parts dept. I'd go to JY.

Lotsa performance builders plug the OE bypass; that some folk say is wonky on the Melling piece.
Plugging an adapter's bypass is Not everyone's cup of tea.

buckbros

Reaction score
All those older sbc have OE adapters that'll work; JunkYard or GM dealership parts dept. I'd go to JY.

So at a junkyard I'd have to find an older 4 wheel drive without the oil cooler lines?? Is that correct? Do you by any chance have the OEM part number?