Not GM. '98 Ranger, 700mi interstate in one day. Heavy load and tow.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big bird

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exhausted.

Just did 700 miles in my '98 Ranger super cab XLT. I've had this truck since '17 or so. PO said it didn't have enough power to tow. He just didn't know how to use the tool.

Carried the kid and I, fragile/expensive stuff like our home server, few firearms, and measuring tools in the cab.

Filled the bed with tooling, animal feed, luggage, bed frame and misc.

Custom rack carried two fishing kayaks.

Towed one horse trailer containing three fullsize potbelly pigs and one half Belgian malinot/Great Pyrenees giant fluffy white dog.

Truck is rated for 5900lbs towing, 9500 total.

Last year that had the pushrod V6 before they made those awful self destructing timing cassette engines.

Have replaced laundry list of common maintenance items, often upgraded. Major fix was replacing intake manifold gaskets/proper torquing. Throws no codes

Have added a hitch and Redarc trailer brake system. Supplemental trans cooler from stock. Also added a nice sound system with a 10" sub cause I'm a metal head and i could.

Truck has OD disable button, auto tranny. Per Ford, OD was disabled entire time.

Some hills were 55, but a lot of the time I was 65-75. Temp gage climbed some on abusive hill climbs, as in I noticed that it was hotter than normal but still in the safe zone.

I pushed it harder than it has ever been pushed and then left it in idle for 2 hours. Idled it to use the headlights as a work light. Sounds the same as it ever has, can't see that I've done real damage.

Anyhow, this is my DD.

Hate me if you want, but I like good tools, Ford/Mazda or Chevy or whatever. Still getting to know my '98 Chevy 3500. It's been horribly abused and poorly maintained. Have to get a new muffler, baffles are banging after the last trip. We'll take care of it when we fly back to the old home soon.

big bird

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

98 Ranger XLT, 4.0 V6, power everything and AC works.

Kayak racks I made from 1.5" HDPE, black iron pipe, and plasma cut fittings. Great for hauling lumber. Figure I would crush the sides of the bed before they would fail.

4.0, upgraded alternator, trailer brakes and audio amp wired into battery posts. Hot clamp should be changed for something better but it works fine.

Pioneer head unit that does Bluetooth and hands free calling. Redarc trailer brake control on upper left of bezel.

Jade is the fluffy dog, Abby and Penelope are laying at the front of the fence. Peppa is behind the water trough and you can barely see her. Trailer behind them. Redid brakes, wiring, hubs, etc. Forget the brand of trailer. It's a rust bucket but the frame is good. Will probably make a livestock hauler for steers and maybe goats out of it.

Yes, 9500 is the GCWR, not the load I actually hauled. Didn't weigh it, but the load wasn't that much.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score

98 Ranger XLT, 4.0 V6, power everything and AC works.

Kayak racks I made from 1.5" HDPE, black iron pipe, and plasma cut fittings. Great for hauling lumber. Figure I would crush the sides of the bed before they would fail.

4.0, upgraded alternator, trailer brakes and audio amp wired into battery posts. Hot clamp should be changed for something better but it works fine.

Pioneer head unit that does Bluetooth and hands free calling. Redarc trailer brake control on upper left of bezel.

Jade is the fluffy dog, Abby and Penelope are laying at the front of the fence. Peppa is behind the water trough and you can barely see her. Trailer behind them. Redid brakes, wiring, hubs, etc. Forget the brand of trailer. It's a rust bucket but the frame is good. Will probably make a livestock hauler for steers and maybe goats out of it.

Yes, 9500 is the GCWR, not the load I actually hauled. Didn't weigh it, but the load wasn't that much.
Looks like a nice little place and great pets. Siding on that house looks like the old asbestos cement board.

big bird

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a nice little place and great pets. Siding on that house looks like the old asbestos cement board.

Thanks!

It is asbestos cement board. It looks kind of ugly, especially in pictures and helped make the place affordable. I've always called it asphalt tile.

Flick it with your finger and it kind of rings like a clay pot. It's in good shape, will last forever, adds insulation. I love it.