Non working brake light 95 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CamoGoddess13

Reaction score
I have a issue with my 95 k1500's brake lights not working. My transmission went out and so we replaced it with one from a Suburban of the same year, my husband decided that the transmission would only work with the motor. So it was switched as well. But now the brake light won't work. We checked the bulbs, fuses, relay and everything works. We were told to check the brake switch but I'm not exactly sure where or how to get to it or how to take it off to check it. Can anyone help and if so do you have any pictures or videos?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If they were working before the engine/transmission swap, I would be re-checking the work areas as well.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were. But I just don't understand exactly how to get to the brake switch to get it off. Also I am checking the wiring
Watch some videos on YouTube, ignore the ones that show ripping the dash apart. You can reach in and pop the clip off with this size screwdriver. Swap out the switch. Try to save that clip, I bought Dorman replacement clips and both broke on install, I tweaked my original clip back in shape and it’s fine. I did have to get my son whose hands are a little smaller to snap the clip back on. Good luck. Use a screwdriver this size to remove clip.
You must be registered for see images attach

CamoGoddess13

Reaction score
Watch some videos on YouTube, ignore the ones that show ripping the dash apart. You can reach in and pop the clip off with this size screwdriver. Swap out the switch. Try to save that clip, I bought Dorman replacement clips and both broke on install, I tweaked my original clip back in shape and it’s fine. I did have to get my son whose hands are a little smaller to snap the clip back on. Good luck. Use a screwdriver this size to remove clip.
I tried to YouTube it but was so frustrated that I stopped. Thank you for your help

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried to YouTube it but was so frustrated that I stopped. Thank you for your help
Follow the actual brake fixture up, and at top you’ll see the white brake switch, you WILL be very uncomfortable finding this, but it is doable. Find this clip and pop it off the brake switch. You will figure out the best angle of attack, it’s kinda to the right of steering column and under dash. Maybe just buy a new GM clip, just in case.

CamoGoddess13

Reaction score
Follow the actual brake fixture up, and at top you’ll see the white brake switch, you WILL be very uncomfortable finding this, but it is doable. Find this clip and pop it off the brake switch. You will figure out the best angle of attack, it’s kinda to the right of steering column and under dash. Maybe just buy a new GM clip, just in case.

Thank you. It's been a I'm ready to push it over a cliff kind of thing. My husband said that he was looking at the underneath the truck to chase the wires and found a couple that were cut.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thank you. It's been a I'm ready to push it over a cliff kind of thing. My husband said that he was looking at the underneath the truck to chase the wires and found a couple that were cut.
Well, a couple cut wires are easier to fix than a brake switch on these GMT400's. That is why I said what I said. You can't think of what you could have done but always reinspect your work. So many times, the parts cannon comes out and you waste money.

The brake switch is doable. frustration sets in but I have never let an inanimate object get the best of me. Takes longer, but I check and double check.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, a couple cut wires are easier to fix than a brake switch on these GMT400's. That is why I said what I said. You can't think of what you could have done but always reinspect your work. So many times, the parts cannon comes out and you waste money.

The brake switch is doable. frustration sets in but I have never let an inanimate object get the best of me. Takes longer, but I check and double check.
I agree with this ^^^ first.