Noise from Bell housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you did ask to verify . More like the hypothesizing didn't pan out..lol
But still odd to me is , like the screenshot you just posted of my video, that is the only one of the 3 bolt surfaces that has wear that affected the depth of the metal. The other 2 are flat. Just witness marking more or less.... no wear,,,, I'll get a pic in a bit....

Went ahead and took the pan before proceeding with installing transfer case..etc...
No nuggets but there is sludge? Not sure if normal or not......looked pretty clean.... been just over a year since I had changed filter and fluid in pan...and whatever was changed when the reman converter was put in last year as well.....
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
How many miles on that fluid? If you run your finger along the valve body do you see the same gray material? Was the transmission rebuilt?

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How many miles on that fluid?
maybe 10k? Give or take...
If you run your finger along the valve body do you see the same gray material?
Just checked. No..But.... I took a white paper towel and the weird thing is that, it was clean fluid everywhere I wiped but, if I wipe the gray bolt heads, it would be dark. Almost like the bolt heads are leaching.... very strange
Was the transmission rebuilt?
long long time ago....15 years or more.....
Shift kit and reman tc a year ago......

not sure why Rock Auto sent the black AC Delco plastic filter...kinda liked the aluminum one...seems like it could be a heat sink of sorts.....

Attachments

• IMG20240704192644 resized.jpg
    IMG20240704192644 resized.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 5

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. With no shift issues or odd behavior with the transmission while driving. TC inners, plate or end play is likely the cause of the noise.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok. With no shift issues or odd behavior with the transmission while driving. TC inners, plate or end play is likely the cause of the noise.
Thank you. I guess I'll find out soon enough. I did buy another reman torque converter from TC Remanufacturing.... Went ahead and am going to try the higher stall from the 4.3 since I'm changing it. My scanner monitors temperature so I'll keep an eye on how things go.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The original flexplate suffering from "ovalized torque converter bolt holes allowing noise to be generated"
theory may be wrong. After sleeping on this I took a fresh look at the video screen snap that made
me wonder:

You must be registered for see images attach

I was expecting a perfect circle here, like what we see at the flexplate to crank bolt holes?

To prove/disprove the 'enlongated hole from wear' theory, I then took a close look at the
brand new GM flexplate. From here it looks like (4) of the 6 torque converter bolt holes
are manufactured horizontally oval shaped, while the remaining (2) holes are vertically oval
shaped?

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm assuming that these torque converter bolt holes are made this way in order to allow
for necessary manufacturing tolerances between the torque converter and the flexplate?
Obviously if I'm wrong then I'm hoping that a Subject Matter Expert will step in and
clarify all this?

So after giving the new flexplate close scrutiny, I'm thinking that the new flexplate
isn't going to make a dramatic difference in the quantity of noise in the vicinity?

At this point I have to step aside and let the flexplate/torque converter/transmission
gurus take the helm.

This is a tough one...
Were there any washers stacked between the flex plate and TC? That hole is recessed quite a bit and would cause problems. The hole shape is not in question.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Were there any washers stacked between the flex plate and TC? That hole is recessed quite a bit and would cause problems. The hole shape is not in question.
No washers. It's a very old flexplate and I didn't take note apart from looking for cracks when it was removed/reinstalled last year. Should have put a new on on then...
Not sure why the other 2 look pretty much flat.....

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take a look at the TC at the recessed surface position.
I didn't mark where everything came from. Now there's a different reman tc in and new flexplate. I'll check out the old one though . I think I did post a video of the 3 mounting pads and how they looked kinda weird. Especially one pad that was ramped a bit more on the edge....

yes...post #43 has video...about 3 minutes in I talk about the torque converter pads....

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't mark where everything came from. Now there's a different reman tc in and new flexplate. I'll check out the old one though . I think I did post a video of the 3 mounting pads and how they looked kinda weird. Especially one pad that was ramped a bit more on the edge....

yes...post #43 has video...about 3 minutes in I talk about the torque converter pads....
I missed it. It appears over-torqued. Did you oil or use anti-seize on the TC bolts? I would recommend new TC bolts (10.9). Run the TC bolts in the TC dry by hand to clean out the threads and ensure ease of installation. When installing the the TC bolts do not use anti-seize. Place a very small amount of blue loc-tite on the end of the bolts and torque to spec with an accurate torque wrench.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I missed it. It appears over-torqued. Did you oil or use anti-seize on the TC bolts? I would recommend new TC bolts (10.9). Run the TC bolts in the TC dry by hand to clean out the threads and ensure ease of installation. When installing the the TC bolts do not use anti-seize. Place a very small amount of blue loc-tite on the end of the bolts and torque to spec with an accurate torque wrench.
Thank you.
I had a mobile mechanic help with the transmission last year. He may have not torqued them correctly. It was something I had discussed with him at the time. I just looked and mentioned my concerns about this in post #18. I should have put my foot down about the torques specs early on. I did bring it up but didn't fight about it. He was very good but there was obviously limited room under the truck so there was a lot going on I didn't participate in apart from the obvious handing stuff, helping move things..... I personally did the flexplate install and the oil pan and transmission pan while he was not there... no loctite or sealer was ever used last year. In fact, the sealer that was on the flexplate bolts was so bad, they had to be soaked in lacquer thinner and wire wheeled to get them looking like they even had threads. I am learning as I go so it was something I didn't even pay attention to last year and they were reused in that crazy condition.

I've already reused the 3 tc bolts although I did clean them up and applied blue loctite. I can remove them though if you really think it's needed. Still have a ways before the cover is back on. Pictures of their condition before I cleaned them with a wire wheel are in post #46.

Post #47 I mentioned with pictures of the manual section that I was a bit anxious about what the converter to flexplate torque specs were supposed to be because my manual is confusing. It says 46lbs and 50 lbs so I went with 50.

I am hoping not torquing the transmission adapter after a new seal was installed was the reason for my leak there as well..

Last edited: