Nightmare 10” drum brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
The guy who got me my 9.5" SF 11" drum six-lug lives a bit south of Louisville, in Bardstown, KY and I believe he's got access to a couple of others if you want one.

He of course has access to 8.5" w/ 11" drums too, those are plentiful.

He's in his 60s and knows the GMT400s quite well.

He might assist with delivery. In my case, he met me in Indianapolis.

If you want his contact info, PM me.
Is my rear axle equipped from the factory with a 8.5"? I have a 97 K1500 SWB with the 5.7 with a 10 bolt, 6 lug, semi float, 10" drum brakes. My concern is not about getting a heavier duty rear axle. My only concern is getting rid of these junk 10" rear brakes. So far, Ive been searching for rear axles out of 2whl 2500's. What should I be searching for in order to find the 8.5" with 11? I would be willing to drive to Bardstown Ky, but want to exhaust all options here locally.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is my rear axle equipped from the factory with a 8.5"? I have a 97 K1500 SWB with the 5.7 with a 10 bolt, 6 lug, semi float, 10" drum brakes. My concern is not about getting a heavier duty rear axle. My only concern is getting rid of these junk 10" rear brakes. So far, Ive been searching for rear axles out of 2whl 2500's. What should I be searching for in order to find the 8.5" with 11? I would be willing to drive to Bardstown Ky, but want to exhaust all options here locally.

Your truck has an 8.5 inch rear.

If you want another 8.5 inch rear with 11 inch brakes, they’re fairly easy to come by.

You want one from a 4x4 (K1500) so that it’s got the proper width.

A truck with RPO JB6 will be equipped with the 11” drums.

The heavier duty (2500/3500) trucks came with 9.5” and 10.5” rear gears.

Check your rear end ratio, I’m guessing you have 3.73 but the RPO code in your glove box will tell the tale. 3.73 rear gears are fairly common in pickups, Suburbans and some others might have 3.42.

If you can’t find one locally, or you want someone who will work with you, the fellow in Kentucky is a nice guy to work with.

Last edited: