My 99 K2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jman95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As anyone could have guessed, when lowering the spring mounts for the rear lift and spreading the center pins apart on the springs. I have rear tire clearance issues.. To be honest, I seen this coming..

You must be registered for see images attach

I measured the distance between the front spring eyes and the rear spring eyes and found that the springs had about 6” toe out.
That seemed a bit excessive. After some research I found that the popular opinion is anything more than 3” toe out is too much.

So, I cut the ears off the brackets and made some new ears to weld on out of some 1/4” plate.

My mobile vice c-clamped to a step ladder LOL. I only have a grinder so, made it all work.

There was enough room on the brackets to bring the ears (front of the leaf springs) towards the frame 1.5”. Netting 3” of clearance.

I tacked them with my small welder before deciding to go out a buy a bigger welder. .75” + 1.5” = 2.25” of clearance - 1” more rubber is 1.25” clearance without wheel spacers. (I plan to run wheel spacers to fix the track width of the rear.) The new measurements indicate a 3” toe out on the springs for those who are wondering.

Last edited:

Jman95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Enjoying the progress. It appears that, without prior intent, I copied you by finishing my calipers in gold. BTW, your outboard brake pads should technically be switched so that the wear indicator is at the leading edge of the pad during a front wheel rotation (i.e., down).
Nice catch, I didn’t even think about that when I installed them lol. I will switch them when I pull the axle out to weld the perches. In the process of straightening out my driveline angles so I can set the pinion angle before burning them in.

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was worried about having “squeaky” lower control arm bushings.. So I installed a grease zerk for later.

I believe I used a 13/64 drill bit and a 1/4-20 tap for the zerk threads.

I drilled through the bushing also to get grease inside the bushing..

Final product.
God bless that grease fitting !!!!