Mpfi upgrade reviews.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reprogramming required listed on that listing. EPA must have busted GM for doing a non-certified injector replacement. All calibrations and parts replacements have to be re-certified for GM to sell them as emissions compliant and the MPFI upgrade kit throws the stock programmed fueling out of the window. Probably the whole reason that kit was discontinued anyway. Rather than spend money to correct the calibrations and re-certify, cheaper to just quit making the part.
What is? Oh I see it now, Special Procedures.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep in big bold black letters with parenthesis around it. "(Reprogramming required by automotive professional)". Does not even state that a GM dealership can do it.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That would be you…right? ;)
I have the data and I did share a tune file with it in the 0411 swap sticky. Not like I am calling GMs own data out of a newer 4.3L that had these same injectors my own. I robbed the GM injector data right out of like a 2010 4.3L van.

That being said that injector shows up for me as $409 if it is available. I would jump on it if I needed one and it is actually available.

You must be registered for see images attach

John DeWitt

Reaction score
Wow wow wow wow wow....wow...........wow, hold up. You mean after 6+ years of driving around on upgraded spiders I was supposed to reprogram something?!?!?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow wow wow wow wow....wow...........wow, hold up. You mean after 6+ years of driving around on upgraded spiders I was supposed to reprogram something?!?!?
I drove on mine for a few years before I discovered the injector data was not correct. Swapped to the correct data and my engine went from having somewhat high fuel trims (PCM correcting for a lean condition) to basically zero trims and ran a lot better. The high fuel trims was one of the reasons I tuned my van to start with. The fuel here is also 10% ethanol which also causes it to run leaner on stock tuning. Injector data correction plus a change to a stoichiometric air/fuel ratio of 14.1 corrects the lean tune and gives the PCM an ability to actually compensate for a problem that would make the engine run lean.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does GM provide the “automotive professionals” the updated data?

John DeWitt

Reaction score
I drove on mine for a few years before I discovered the injector data was not correct. Swapped to the correct data and my engine went from having somewhat high fuel trims (PCM correcting for a lean condition) to basically zero trims and ran a lot better. The high fuel trims was one of the reasons I tuned my van to start with. The fuel here is also 10% ethanol which also causes it to run leaner on stock tuning.
Please, do go on & into further detail

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Please, do go on & into further detail
The newer style spider is actually 22.1 lb/hr in flow. The stock spider is 23.1 lbs/hr the PCM is calibrated to open the injectors based off that flow rating to deliver the correct amount of fuel. The newer style injectors also have a different amount of dead time. That is the time delay between the PCM sending voltage to the injector and the fuel actually starting to flow. That also makes a difference in the total volume of fuel injected. At lower rpm and load like idle a dead time calibration error can signifigantly throw off the fuel delivery. Then you throw E10 fuel into the mix. The system is still injecting 1 part fuel to 14.7 parts air although the new fuel has a stoichiometric air/fuel ratio of 1 part fuel to 14.1 parts air. When I read data with a scan tool my PCM was showing consistent fuel trims of +10-15%. That is close to setting lean fuel trim codes. When you hit that upper limit of adjustment the PCM can no longer add fuel for any real problem such as a small vacuum leak, weaker running fuel pump, plugging fuel filter that is causing reduced fuel pressure or a dirty MAF.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few months ago, this same topic was being discussed, so I specifically asked the question on the Acdelco site. I got the typical “Message Received” after hitting Send and it also said “Thank You, We Will Respond to You”. They seem to have ignored that particular question.