Magnaflow cats vs jegs y pipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would just pay a muffled shop to bend custom exhaust from the manifolds, only use cats if you need them for emissions testing otherwise delete them. I prefer the sound of true duals. Other prefer the x pipe sound which is more mellow.

Tahoez71

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. The more I think of it I'm just going to go with the jegs pipe. It's half the cost and a much easier install. If anyone has off road pipe and cat back clips I'm all ears

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the Jegs pipe and Dynomax cat back. No cats, and has a nice rumble to it. It's not on the road, but do drive it up n down the road time to time, so can't really tell how the sound level is at highway speeds. I can try to get a clip, but seem to have a PITA time trying to put clips or even pics on here.

EODMonkey00

Reaction score
I literally just ordered the jegs y and dynomax super turbo cat back yesterday for my 96 **** box daily. The muffler really makes the difference in how loud it's going to be. If they made a mbrp or atak bolt on i would have used those but for the cost and flow the dynomax was hard to beat

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the MagnaFlow stainless y pipe assembly with converters, Gibson stainless headers and MagnaFlow stainless 2.5" catback duals out the back. Perfect sound for me throaty at idle (man, the ricer patrol kept wanting to race me on Friday night at every stoplight!), but tame in the cab during cruising. Application is 1998 C1500 ext cab, 5.7, 4l60e

Tahoez71

Reaction score
I would urge anyone reading this to stay away from the Magnaflow cats/Y-pipes. I've had two of them fail and start rattling on my V6 truck. Not good, especially considering the price.
I took your advice. I know you ha e posted this numerous times. I ordered the jegs pipe. For the price of the magnaflow you would think it would be better quality longevity wise. So here is the last part. Cat back. No one makes a cat back for the 2 doors except Gibson and flowmaster I've had the flowmaster on another 2 door. Lasted about 3 years with the climate up here in the northeast. Rusted out. Gibson I've heard is a very good product, downside, expensive as anything. But let's me install everything at home. I saw an ebay cat back but suspect of the quality.

Tahoez71

Reaction score
Got the jegs ypipe and jba shorties. Just waiting on the Gibson catback to show up

Tahoez71

Reaction score
I have a Gibson cat back kit on my red truck and I've been very happy with it.
Do you have any sound clips? Ended up getting summit to price match online and tax free weekend in MA. Cat back was still 700. I was going to use my factory catback but some moron before me replaced the cat there, eliminated the flange and welded in regular steel pipe that is rusting away. Puffing now. Thanks