LS swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

macpeppers

Reaction score
my 1989 K1500/auto is tired and i'm looking at an LS/auto trans swap. i've done a camaro LS/6speed into a car, but i have no experience with trucks, Auto, and 4x4. what would be a good engine/trans combo to start looking at? do i need truck engine or could i use maybe camaro engine/trans. this project won't be used for much, but i'd like it to nice and have a little pep. i'm going to try to buy a complete donor car/truck. thanks

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is my go to video series to share with people who ask the same questions you did.
He goes through a lot of stuff, especially the wiring.

Id like to think of you have done one beo, then it should be pretty easy.

Probably cheapest to find a full donor truck one would think.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are those the "LT" motors?
Isn't there something to do with they don't have power steering pumps anymore?
GenIV is not a LT engine that would Gen V. The HD trucks and Vans still have a power steering pump in GenV. The later model GenV based LV3 4.3L also have a hydraulic steering setup in the vans. The 4.3L can easily be an acessory donor for a L83 or L86.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GenIV is not a LT engine that would Gen V. The HD trucks and Vans still have a power steering pump in GenV. The later model GenV based LV3 4.3L also have a hydraulic steering setup in the vans. The 4.3L can easily be an acessory donor for a L83 or L86.
Doh!!! Damn Roman numerals got me again!!! Lol
And now my memory is jogged about the HD's and vans ...I believe you educated me on this a while ago!!! Fuzzy memory!!! Lol
Thanks!
And good tip about the accessory drive doner.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Doh!!! Damn Roman numerals got me again!!! Lol
And now my memory is jogged about the HD's and vans ...I believe you educated me on this a while ago!!! Fuzzy memory!!! Lol
Thanks!
And good tip about the accessory drive doner.

The 4.3L van is just common as dirt now. The vans still use a common M30 1.5 threaded water pump for a clutch fan too. PS pump is high on the left hand side. I really want one of these with an 8spd from a van in a square body S10 2door Blazer. They make like 330 hp on E85 and respond well to an inexpensive cam upgrade. I think it would make for a very reliable, great running, fuel efficient daily driver/parts runner. I bet it would see mid-upper 20s fuel mileage on the highway and could still tow a smaller trailer. It could probably run low 13s and high 12s in the 1/4 with a 3.73 and GM 4th gen eaton limited slip differential on E85 with a cam too.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also stated LV3 in error. The van engine is a LV1 and did not come with DOD. The whole reason for wanting the van powertrain not the silverado one. The van engine does not need more $$$ dropped into it to delete the DOD. To my knowledge no GM van has ever had DOD even the 6.6L does not have it in the vans. The 5.3L and 6.0L van engines were non DOD as well. To me that makes the van the best engine donor.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also stated LV3 in error. The van engine is a LV1 and did not come with DOD. The whole reason for wanting the van powertrain not the silverado one. The van engine does not need more $$$ dropped into it to delete the DOD. To my knowledge no GM van has ever had DOD even the 6.6L does not have it in the vans. The 5.3L and 6.0L van engines were non DOD as well. To me that makes the van the best engine donor.
That's good to know about the DOD not in the vans.
And a 4.3 swap would piss a lot of people off if I did it!!!! But 330hp is 120 more than I have now!!! Lol
But I'm sure it would severely lack some ooooomph down low where needed.
But turbos fix that I'm sure!!! Lol