Lowering 4WD Basics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whitsican

Reaction score
I’ve got a ‘92 Chevy K1500 I’ve done some research collecting answers. She’s pretty level 6” wheel gap in the rear 6.5” wheel gap in the front. I’m wanting to lower her without having to notch the frame nor take extra unnecessary steps. From what I read I can probably lower it 4” front and back. I can either get a lowering torsion key or flip the stock one and drill press the dimple(saftey hazard?), simple. As for the rear can I get away with removing the block on the U bolt and installing drop shackles & leaf spring hanger and drop it 4” total? Or will I have to do an axle flip? Will this affect my overall drivability? What are other precautions I can take as far as new bump stops/suspension components? Open to opinions and thoughts.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mines a beater but it’s basically what you are asking about. I lowered mine about 4” front and back, maybe 3.5” but I’m happy. I used drop shackles in the rear and a drop hanger in the front of the rear leaf springs. I didn’t have any blocks to remove but I did new u bolts. Up front I used lowering keys and shorter shocks. I can lower it 5” but that was too much so I went back to about a 3.5-4” drop.

I didn’t have any complications, no notching and no other mods needed just an alignment.

Attachments

• IMG_6628.jpeg
    IMG_6628.jpeg
    416.6 KB · Views: 30

Whitsican

Reaction score
Mines a beater but it’s basically what you are asking about. I lowered mine about 4” front and back, maybe 3.5” but I’m happy. I used drop shackles in the rear and a drop hanger in the front of the rear leaf springs. I didn’t have any blocks to remove but I did new u bolts. Up front I used lowering keys and shorter shocks. I can lower it 5” but that was too much so I went back to about a 3.5-4” drop.

I didn’t have any complications, no notching and no other mods needed just an alignment.
As far as complications you haven’t noticed any premature wear on any components? Also any issues with the CV axle due to change of angle? Is there something you’d do differently with the drop?

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as complications you haven’t noticed any premature wear on any components? Also any issues with the CV axle due to change of angle? Is there something you’d do differently with the drop?
I didn’t put too many miles on it before I removed the engine to upgrade that however the CV angles are better than stock so I can’t see it being an issue. There is another guy on here who did the same thing and he’s put tens of thousands of miles on it without any issues.

Last edited:

matt87

Reaction score

Can you share some more pics? What size wheel and tire are you running?

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you share some more pics? What size wheel and tire are you running?
Running 245/70R-16 tires with 16x8 wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_7081.jpeg
    IMG_7081.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6706.jpeg
    IMG_6706.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6630.jpeg
    IMG_6630.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6628.jpeg
    IMG_6628.jpeg
    416.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6627.jpeg
    IMG_6627.jpeg
    459.4 KB · Views: 13

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you looked into dropped spindles? That would give you 2 or 3 inches then use the torsion keys to finish the front drop. Dropped hangers and shackles in the rear or lowered leaf springs are available. Of course a considerably reduced tire diameter will get you a couple of inches too.