Locker for 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I did some digging and not sure if I suck at finding what I was looking for or what so I’m posting here. Feel free to move to the correct spot or link the correct thread.

I have a 97 2wd ECSB lifted 6” sitting on 35x12.5x15s currently have a 3.73 rear looking to add a 4.88. But it will be my daily and I also plan to use it offroad for camping and the like. This truck hates anything that isn’t asphalt and the posi absolutely sucks. Last time I drove this truck in the snow it was on some 31” pathfinder ATs and traction was ZERO. We had maybe 2” of snow and minimal ice. I was able to pull out of my parking spot and that was it. I couldn’t even back up the 6’ I pulled out and if I went anywhere else I was sure to get stuck. Now I live in a higher altitude town in the country and have lifted it and put bigger tires. And since Ive had the lift it’s just sat and was used for the occasional dump run and my 4x4 was used to daily. Circumstances changed and had to sell the 4wd so the Silverado has become my daily again. I have a round trip commute just shy of 100 miles. The truck makes that journey just fine but I want to add a locker to help improve traction in the snow my tires are pretty decent RT tires (dick cepek extreme country 35x12.5x15) they have about 850 miles on them since I bought them new. And haven’t driven the truck in the snow since the lift and tires 3yrs ago. So any advice would be cool. Thank in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3892.jpeg
    IMG_3892.jpeg
    462.6 KB · Views: 5

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just put a posi in it. Go to Summit or Jegs, or Randy's ring and pinion. Put in your truck, and see what they have to offer. A cheaper alternative is to find an early 90s B-body, Caprice, Caddy Deville, Buick Roadmaster and whatever else uses that platform. Look for one that has the tow package, it will have the same rear as a truck 8.5" 10 bolt, same spline count. Not sure what the diff actually is, but it's true posi, not the grenade lock the trucks use. But it's a bolt in, and no carrier break.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
This truck hates anything that isn’t asphalt and the posi absolutely sucks.

Unless it's aftermarket, you don't have a posi. There was no posi from GM available in our trucks, only a locker. You shouldn't have so little traction in 2 inches of snow even with an open differential, Though, unless maybe your tires are bald.

I'm not versed in all the various differentials available for our trucks, but you could opt to find a whole 14-bolt semi-floating axle with the factory G80 locker in it. You end up with better brakes assuming you have a half-ton with 10-bolt axle. I think that version of the G80 would be more durable than the one in the 10-bolt, that's known for eating itself. The G80 is unlocked until you need it, which might make driving in snow more normal. It's my understanding that having the wheels locked together can cause issues in the snow, when it's not needed. I live in MI, but I have an open diff. I found that my dad's old 96 1/2 ton 2wd had the factory locker, and it seemed to do pretty well in the winter.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tires make a HUGE difference. I just looked up the ones you are running, those are NOT a winter tire. There is no sniping in the tread blocks, that what gives traction on snow and especially ice. No differential can make up for lack of proper tires on snow and ice. Believe me, I drive it for up to six months a year.
Look for a tire with the "three peak" rating, you will be amazed. Lots of aggressive looking tires have them, like Duratracs, Wildepeaks a Nitto EXO Grapplers. Worth the $$$.

Reaction score
I haven’t driven in the snow with these tires. But I didn’t think they’d be any good in snow given they suck in the rain. And idk where I got the idea I had a posi rear end. Maybe because my other 97 ECSB had a posi. It was my dad’s that he had given me about 10 years ago he had a bunch of stuff done to it. I love the wildpeaks, had a set of 34x12 MTs on my 14 grand Cherokee I just got rid of. I like the KO2s. I know the KO3s just came out. And an AT will probably last longer than the RTs I have anyway.

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I definitely agree with getting a 3 peak rated tire. A locker wether selectable or auto with cause some seriously sideways action in snow and ice. A posi or LSD can also lead to that but less likely and will help with traction a bunch.

I’d do tires first and then keep an eye out for a factory rear axle with some sort of traction device in it. Preferably a 3/4ton axle with 4.10 gears and a G80.if you really hate the 4.10s you can regear like you did before to 4.88s

Reaction score
Man I’m dumb. I was looking up a posi and realized that I do in fact have an open dif. My dad never told me he installed the posi in his truck just that it had a posi rear end so I just assumed my truck was posi and just possibly broken since only one tire spins. I will definitely be installing a posi when I redo my ring and pinion since I need a bigger gear to get those 35s moving.

Do any of you know if installing the 4.88 will improve my acceleration since I’m on a 6” lift with 35s or could the trans actually be going out!? Before the new tires it would easily spin the old tire(s). And since I’ve had the new tires it seems to work harder. It sounds like it still accelerates the same. It just feels tired.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man I’m dumb. I was looking up a posi and realized that I do in fact have an open dif. My dad never told me he installed the posi in his truck just that it had a posi rear end so I just assumed my truck was posi and just possibly broken since only one tire spins. I will definitely be installing a posi when I redo my ring and pinion since I need a bigger gear to get those 35s moving.

Do any of you know if installing the 4.88 will improve my acceleration since I’m on a 6” lift with 35s or could the trans actually be going out!? Before the new tires it would easily spin the old tire(s). And since I’ve had the new tires it seems to work harder. It sounds like it still accelerates the same. It just feels tired.
There are calculators available online where you can input your tires and gears to match what you want/need.

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I miss read the first bit and thought you already had 4.88s. For me 4.88s would be a bit deep even with 35s. Unless it’s a tow rig, and off road rig mostly. For commuting 4.88s is a bit much, but if you have a quiet exhaust it shouldn’t bug you too much. If you haven’t bought the 4.88s I’d suggest 4.56 just a tad happy on the highway. However if acceleration and burnouts is the main priority 4.88s and let it eat!