Laredo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Laredo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you just opt out on the oil filler tube? Just curious if the oil cap fits the valve cover and the tube the same.
The oil filler riser cracked when I attempted to remove it from the original engine. However, I also want to say I determined it wouldn't fit, but don't quote me on that. Thank goodness for long funnels because the current configuration is undoubtedly less convenient.

Laredo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ordered a new radiator from my local Chevrolet dealer. It is scheduled to arrive tomorrow morning. I ordered the existing/leaking radiator from RockAuto. It was actually the third radiator I received from RockAuto, as the first two arrived damaged. I now see that RockAuto is no longer offering Genuine GM radiators for these trucks. I never thought replacing the radiator would be such a hassle. Such is life, though.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The oil filler riser cracked when I attempted to remove it from the original engine. However, I also want to say I determined it wouldn't fit, but don't quote me on that. Thank goodness for long funnels because the current configuration is undoubtedly less convenient.
Just seems that if the regular oil cap fits the tube and the valve cover that the opening should be the same. I only ask because mine has a VERY slight weep, so I bought a new oil cap just for the O-ring. Sounds like they are tough to remove though with the thread sealant on them.

Laredo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just seems that if the regular oil cap fits the tube and the valve cover that the opening should be the same. I only ask because mine has a VERY slight weep, so I bought a new oil cap just for the O-ring. Sounds like they are tough to remove though with the thread sealant on them.

You may be right. I really can't recall, unfortunately. I was just looking at photographs of the original engine. I think I actually prefer not having the oil filler riser. It's a little cleaner without it.

Laredo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update:

Despite being very careful, I stripped the lower transmission cooler line fitting on the replacement radiator. I proceeded to remove the radiator and have a temper tantrum---I threw the radiator in the grass and beat it with a finishing hammer. That made me feel somewhat better. :)

Yesterday I picked up yet another radiator from my local dealer. I'm happy to report that I installed it this morning without much issue (the transmission and oil cooler line fittings were still somewhat difficult to start). I vacuum tested the cooling system, and it held at -15 PSI for 5+ minutes before adding approximately 3 gallons of AC Delco 50/50 premix antifreeze /coolant (part no. 10-5027) to the system. No leaks. Life is good.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update:

Despite being very careful, I stripped the lower transmission cooler line fitting on the replacement radiator. I proceeded to remove the radiator and have a temper tantrum---I threw the radiator in the grass and beat it with a finishing hammer. That made me feel somewhat better. :)

Yesterday I picked up yet another radiator from my local dealer. I'm happy to report that I installed it this morning without much issue (the transmission and oil cooler line fittings were still somewhat difficult to start). I vacuum tested the cooling system, and it held at -15 PSI for 5+ minutes before adding approximately 3 gallons of AC Delco 50/50 premix antifreeze /coolant (part no. 10-5027) to the system. No leaks. Life is good.
We are going to need video of that. If you don’t have any I’m sure your neighbors do.

On a serious note, we have all been there, it does help.

Laredo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure it was you and not that the radiator came defective? Either way, glad it’s resolved and now you and your truck can cool off.
Unfortunately, it was my fault. I started the fitting by hand and it was slightly crooked (only upon very scrupulous inspection could it be seen). I only gave it two quarter turns with a wrench, but that's all it took to damage the threads in the radiator.

Last edited:

Laredo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We are going to need video of that. If you don’t have any I’m sure your neighbors do.

On a serious note, we have all been there, it does help.
LOL! It did occur to me that at least one of my neighbors was probably observing my temper tantrum.

I didn't previously realize just how difficult it is to start the oil and transmission cooler line fittings. I also didn't realize the radiator fittings were so fragile (too fragile, IMO). Adding insult to injury, all the lines except the short auxiliary transmission cooler line are Genuine GM. The aforementioned line is from Dorman. Ironically, each time I have installed it, it has been the easiest line to install.