SAS discussion on alternative axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toyota231

Reaction score
I've got an '89 k2500, looking at doing a SAS on it but I'm thinking about using either a 99-04 superduty 60 or an 04+ superduty 60. So I would like to see if anyone has done a SAS with either axles? I know Sky off road makes a hanger kit for the 99-04 axles but i don't care for how far it hangs down in the front much more than i like. I'm curious as to how hard the ORD hangers would be to modify for the wider 37.5" spring perch width. But I'm also curious to see if anyone has ever used the coil spring 04+ superduty 60, and used the coil springs and radius arms, but I'm not sure on all the measurements lining up closely. Now i have a huge background in doing SAS's on toyota's and other's but never done anything on a gmt400. So if anyone has any experience lets talk.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ORD makes top notch stuff, modifying it will pretty much be cutting them up n starting over. It's tight to begin with on the rear hangers, it's even worse with the wider perch width. WFO makes the kit to use the coils, but it ain't cheap. I guess maybe it an even difference, early stuff is semi expensive, newer stuff is cheap. Too bad weren't closer, I have 2 HP 60s from late 80s to early 90s Im not gonna use....

AirMdwn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven’t done a 99-04 swap but I think the reason most dont use that axle is because the tires rub the springs, reducing steering angle and the rear hanger would run into the frame and the frame would need to be notched for clearance. I believe I saw someone on another site used the 05+ axle with the arms, coil springs and welded on frame buckets. But the radius arm mounting had to go out side the frame and there were clearance/packaging issues. Doable, but not perfect.
If you’re looking for other axle options, the 92-98 ford D60 is the same thing as the 88-91 D60, but the later axle has ball joints. Both leaf spring and a narrower spring pad width compared to the 99-04.
Choosing an axle and suspension kinda depends on what you’re trying to do with the truck. Hardcore crawler, mud digger, overlander, fire roads/camping. What did you have in mind? The GMT400 platform is kind of limited unless you’re planning on full fab work. In that case, **** yeah I’ll help you spend your money

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only negative bout the ball joint axles is inability to go crossover steering. I guess there are kits out there to weld onto the knuckle, or maybe machining it for an arm. I'm not going that route, or ever, so not really too concerned bout it. There are still plenty of other axles to use....