Ignition system----What caused this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pulled all of the spark plugs and found 3 had bad carbon deposits. The rest had what I found to be *What I think* bad condition. :think: Also had taken off the dist cap/rotor today as well. The cap had corrosion deposits on the inside on the metal tabs. Rotor looked like it had been burnt on the top. When I took it off the distributor, it had been rusted onto the dist, and had to gently tap it with a dead blow. Took plug wire off the coil and had been white powdery corrosion that came out when I pulled it off.

Going to be getting new wires soon enough.

Just wondering what would have caused the bad plugs, and what happened the the dist cap? Not sure when it was all last serviced.

You must be registered for see images attach

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I`m newer to the ignition systems so I am unaware of what types of wear on the parts are. Especially the spark plugs. Thanks though. I had pretty much figured that it was just wear for the cap.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably 100k on that cap, ya just never know. Someone may have changed the easy plugs at one time, leaving the hard ones for someone else.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Looks like normal wear to me. If it has been a while since it was replaced then no problems.

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Throw those V-powers in the trash and get some proper AC Delcos in there IMO.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Get some E3s

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bring them back and tell the counter person they cause your engine to have a bad miss.... Then get the correct AC Delco plugs. The regular copper style plugs not any platinums. Besides the regular delcos I've have good luck running standard ngk plugs in my chevy motors I've had. But never have had any good luck with any platinum, iridium, or any gimmick plug(e3's, double electrod, triples, etc).

Sent from what use to be a great country.