How to - Install -AN oil cooler lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's another option that uses the correct o-ring fittings instead of the straight threaded M20x1.5 fitting:

Use a M20x1.5 o-ring to M18x1.5 o-ring reducer like those supplied with my last two replacement radiators:

You must be registered for see images attach

And two of these fittings:

Should fit perfectly with no thread sealant or oddball sealing issues. Thoughts?
I tried to find the reducers like you "got with replacement radiators" and couldn't find any. Are they m20 on the o ring side(radiator) and reduce to m18? That's how I read it anyway.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried to find the reducers like you "got with replacement radiators" and couldn't find any. Are they m20 on the o ring side(radiator) and reduce to m18? That's how I read it anyway.

They are. I really don't know where the radiator manufacturer gets them, but that's what they measure out to be.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They are. I really don't know where the radiator manufacturer gets them, but that's what they measure out to be.
I wish I could get em cause I'm in a process of trying to complete the parts for conversion. I found these m16 and brass fitting adapters m16 to m20 and I wonder if that would do the trick-it's only 6AN but that can be rectified with 6AN to 8AN adapter(lots of adapters lol). Only thing I'm not sure of is if the tip with o ring is of the right size. It says in description "GM late power steering fitting". Anybody knows if it's the same as oil cooler lines?

Attachments

• Capture+_2022-03-08-02-33-31.png
    Capture+_2022-03-08-02-33-31.png
    618.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Capture+_2022-03-08-02-33-51.png
    Capture+_2022-03-08-02-33-51.png
    614 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found these m16 and brass fitting adapters m16 to m20 and I wonder if that would do the trick-it's only 6AN but that can be rectified with 6AN to 8AN adapter(lots of adapters lol). Only thing I'm not sure of is if the tip with o ring is of the right size. It says in description "GM late power steering fitting". Anybody knows if it's the same as oil cooler lines?
Almost certainly too small. Once you choke-down the flow to Dash 6, more adapters to make the upstream larger are kind of a waste.

The way I remember mine, the oil cooler tube was substantially larger than the PS plumbing.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Almost certainly too small. Once you choke-down the flow to Dash 6, more adapters to make the upstream larger are kind of a waste.

The way I remember mine, the oil cooler tube was substantially larger than the PS plumbing.
Yes I thought about it the moment I posted-another idea-1/2 cooper pipe flared to fit the o ring,reuse original radiator nut to connect to radiator,then from there all those summit racing aluminium 1/2 inch to 8an hose fittings. Cause looking at SkyHighColorado's creation he reused original pipes at radiator and connected them with what seems to be aluminium adapters and according to description aluminium ones shouldn't be used on steel pipes as the may leak. Any opinions?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I thought about it the moment I posted-another idea-1/2 cooper pipe flared to fit the o ring,reuse original radiator nut to connect to radiator,then from there all those summit racing aluminium 1/2 inch to 8an hose fittings. Cause looking at SkyHighColorado's creation he reused original pipes at radiator and connected them with what seems to be aluminium adapters and according to description aluminium ones shouldn't be used on steel pipes as the may leak. Any opinions?

I put GM lines in my dually back in 2017 and they're still good. Can always take the easy way out.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typical plumbing copper tubing will work-harden and crack if not secured supremely well.

I'm told--but have no experience with--Nickle-Copper (NiCopp) alloy tubing. It's supposed to be wonderful stuff. I bought 25' coils of 3/16 and 1/4; but I haven't even unwrapped them yet.

GM was willing to warranty their oil cooler hoses for thousands of miles and multiple years. I'm good with that.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put GM lines in my dually back in 2017 and they're still good. Can always take the easy way out.
I can do but easy way is not at all cheaper way(the shipping from rockauto skyrocketed for big or long items) and since I gotta do it anyway it seems to be a perfect time. I'm not in a hurry-just trying to get the good idea as to what might work. The cooper thing wouldn't work-a bit of a brainstorming on my part.
I'm leaning towards invicta60's solution-was trying to google the fitting he used "vibrant 11-2018" and couldn't find anything on the google-and if it's not on google it doesn't exist lol. Kidding aside-anybody knows what fitting was that?

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The process has begun-a friend of mine just made these 2 for me-can't wait to see em.

Attachments

• IMG-20220309-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20220309-WA0008.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 11