HELP! caliper dragging on rotor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sethturbo

Reaction score
1993 chevy k2500 5.7 6 lug

Just did my front brakes on the truck and my driver side caliper is hitting the rotor and dragging. my passenger side isn’t so i already switched the rotors to double check to see if they gave me a bad rotor or something, still the same result, this makes me thing it’s a bad caliper or like the part the caliper bolts onto is bent in a way? the grooves for where the caliper sit are misaligned as well, anybody have any advice? this is my daily so i need to get it up asap for work. thankyou for any input Attached are pictures of where it’s grinding and where the caliper sits is not flush with the caliper itself

Attachments

• IMG_3897.jpeg
    IMG_3897.jpeg
    331.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3893.jpeg
    IMG_3893.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3895.jpeg
    IMG_3895.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3896.jpeg
    IMG_3896.jpeg
    237.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3898.jpeg
    IMG_3898.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 20

sethturbo

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• IMG_3902.jpeg
    IMG_3902.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 8

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the old caliper (the one you just removed) have this problem???

You can't easily swap calipers side to side, can you? You could see if the problem is the caliper or the mounting ears on the knuckle.

Can you stick the old caliper back onto the knuckle for comparison (just set the new caliper aside, on the upper control arm)?

This is something I've not see anyone complain about, yet.

I'll study the pictures a little longer.

(edit) Offhand, where the caliper contacts the abutments, it doesn't look terribly odd to me. There may be some angle between them, when I look at the pictures anyway, but that may be because the caliper anvils are striking the rotor hub and so the caliper's position is distorted.

Still studying the pictures.

I'm also comparing to pictures of other calipers on RockAuto.

Last edited:

sethturbo

Reaction score
Not easily no, the old caliper was dragging or something and had un even wear causing my out board pad to stick or something and wear significantly faster than my inboard pad, i already turned those in for the core so i can’t check if it was, but i don’t think the caliper itself was dragging on the rotor with my old caliper it was the pads dragging and now with the new caliper it’s the caliper itself dragging

sethturbo

Reaction score
pictured is the caliper after taking it up the street and back on the dragging

Attachments

• IMG_3904.png
    IMG_3904.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 22

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not easily no, the old caliper was dragging or something and had un even wear causing my out board pad to stick or something and wear significantly faster than my inboard pad,

That's typical.

i already turned those in for the core so i can’t check if it was,

OK

but i don’t think the caliper itself was dragging on the rotor

Do you have the old rotors handy? If the old caliper did drag, it would leave witness marks on the rotor hat.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are those "new" or rebuilt calipers?

I rebuilt caliper likely once lived a successful life... likely. So I assume a rebuilt caliper would be dimensionally correct, since it's "field proven".

A "new" caliper might have been mis-machined somehow and just now made its way to you.

If push comes to shove, disconnect the suspect caliper from its brake hose and take it over to the other side of the vehicle; see if it still interferes. My guess is it will.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What kind of calipers did you go with? Could be a case of Communist garbage if the calipers are new made in Ching Chong land instead of a reman GM unit.

sethturbo

Reaction score
That's typical.

OK

Do you have the old rotors handy? If the old caliper did drag, it would leave witness marks on the rotor hat.
same thing those went in for cores as well, which brings me to give you even more detail, i did my rotors and pads in february new rotors new pads did the change at one point after the change my front left brake started smoking at a light after stopping, after that it didn’t do it again, it was right after i chanced them so i figured it was just oil dripped on them or something or a film was burning off even thought i sprayed them with brake clean. so back to yesterday when i am taking off my pads rotors calipers, so my driver rotor has a fat divot towards the outside of the rotor but still on the braking surface. and my pad is like i said basically metal on metal, my inside pad for my driver side had significantly more wear then the passenger side. I can go get another caliper and trying it out as it’s relatively cheap (45$) but i don’t wanna spend money and install something only for it to be the steering knuckle is bent or something else

sethturbo

Reaction score
Are those "new" or rebuilt calipers?

I rebuilt caliper likely once lived a successful life... likely. So I assume a rebuilt caliper would be dimensionally correct, since it's "field proven".

A "new" caliper might have been mis-machined somehow and just now made its way to you.

If push comes to shove, disconnect the suspect caliper from its brake hose and take it over to the other side of the vehicle; see if it still interferes. My guess is it will.
sounds like your leaning to the caliper being wrong, it’s a reman caliper from autozone so there is a very strong chance you are right