Head scratcher

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The intake will only be flowing air as the fuel is injected at the tip of the intake runners.
Whether air and fuel or air only it still has to do with runner length. Long runners make more power down low whereas short runners make power up high. Most single plane manifolds I've ever messed with were complete dogs under 3000. The worst was a Weined that I hung on a SBC. That engine acted like a two stroke with an expansion chamber. Bog,bog,bog,,,,,,hang the f#ck on!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whether air and fuel or air only it still has to do with runner length. Long runners make more power down low whereas short runners make power up high. Most single plane manifolds I've ever messed with were complete dogs under 3000. The worst was a Weined that I hung on a SBC. That engine acted like a two stroke with an expansion chamber. Bog,bog,bog,,,,,,hang the f#ck on!
The single plane has a similar runner length to the crossram L31 style manifold but I can get a lot more airflow using a forward facing throttle body and eliminating the dumb plastic air cleaner adapter bonnet.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I verified the intake gaskets are leaking a ton of air. I removed the doghouse cover, capped off the valve cover PCV grommets with duct tape. Fired it up. Then went to remove the oil filler cap and it had a such a strong suction on the crankcase I could almost not remove the 710 cap. Once the cap was removed the oil filler tube was sucking in air like crazy, leaning it out from the unmetered air leak bypassing the MAF so much that it stalled.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I find the gasket leak odd though. I have used the Edelbrock paper gaskets on probably 6-8 Vortecs now without running into an issue. Definitely perplexing and makes me wonder if it has been an issue all along since this intake was first installed. I have had much lower idle vacuum since the Marine manifold was installed and I removed the Rhoads lifters which I blamed on the increased cam duration at idle with the standard lifters. May not have been the complete story.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find the gasket leak odd though. I have used the Edelbrock paper gaskets on probably 6-8 Vortecs now without running into an issue. Definitely perplexing and makes me wonder if it has been an issue all along since this intake was first installed. I have had much lower idle vacuum since the Marine manifold was installed and I removed the Rhoads lifters which I blamed on the increased cam duration at idle with the standard lifters. May not have been the complete story.

Perhaps there's an issue with the parallelism between the LIM gasket surfaces and the heads such that there isn't enough clamping force at the lower intake runner area?

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might be the first person on this forum I've encountered who is aware of LE.

No conversion required. Only two temperatures are cited and in each case given in both C and F.
First person on this forum to know of LE --- perhaps that's because LE products ain't on any retail shelf anywhere in USA --- hardly anyone anywhere in USA knows of it --- because it's Not something folks use for DDs.
I know about because I'm involved in manufacturing; where LE is a known supplier of specialty lubes.
Look --- it ain't known in USA and anything on a retail shelf that doesn't have SAE weight on container ain't gonna generate any meaningful sales or interest. Also, because I'm involved in racing, I was and am always looking for an advantage; LE offered nothing of interest to me.
Also --- There are MANY engine lube oils that are marketed in Europe that have no available direct equivalent in USA. Not so different than fact that haggis is as scarce in southwest's Four Corners; as chitlins are in Edinburgh. And again; No One in USA is interested in trying to interpret some other language of SAE oil weight. FWIW, I work within the constraints of International quality systems registered to ISO 9001-2015 as well as TS16949 & several others. I promise you, No One outside of that knows what it is or gives a damn about it; at least not until their new cars have lots of failures.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look --- it ain't known in USA and anything on a retail shelf that doesn't have SAE weight on container ain't gonna generate any meaningful sales or interest.

And again; No One in USA is interested in trying to interpret some other language of SAE oil weight.
You must be registered for see images attach

Looks like SAE grades to me....

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First person on this forum to know of LE --- perhaps that's because LE products ain't on any retail shelf anywhere in USA --- hardly anyone anywhere in USA knows of it --- because it's Not something folks use for DDs.
I know about because I'm involved in manufacturing; where LE is a known supplier of specialty lubes.
Look --- it ain't known in USA and anything on a retail shelf that doesn't have SAE weight on container ain't gonna generate any meaningful sales or interest. Also, because I'm involved in racing, I was and am always looking for an advantage; LE offered nothing of interest to me.
Also --- There are MANY engine lube oils that are marketed in Europe that have no available direct equivalent in USA. Not so different than fact that haggis is as scarce in southwest's Four Corners; as chitlins are in Edinburgh. And again; No One in USA is interested in trying to interpret some other language of SAE oil weight. FWIW, I work within the constraints of International quality systems registered to ISO 9001-2015 as well as TS16949 & several others. I promise you, No One outside of that knows what it is or gives a damn about it; at least not until their new cars have lots of failures.

Looks like SAE grades to me....
Y'all need to get a room!

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Scooter, since you've decided to join in the rift --- do you see much LE on retail shelves in FLA ?? where joe average shops for motor oil for his DD ?
I don't mean floorspace or racking in a warehouse somewhere (who knows where those stacked pails are).