getting rust off chrome rocker panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Olredgmc

Reaction score
Had my 95 GMC totally repainted last fall. Wow, they must have used some cheap ass chrome rocker panel covers. It didn't get driven much and they don't salt roads here but I have washed it for the first time this spring and they are covered with all these little rust spots. Please advise on the best way to clean them up and then prevent it. Thanks in advance.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Step 1- pull off, step 2- use eraser wheel to get rid of adhesive, step 3- admire the beauty of a truck that doesn't have rust promoting trim on it, haha but seriously use chrome polish or steel wool and it'll take it off but the chrome rockers will cause the truck to rust faster because it holds moisture

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Step 1- pull off, step 2- use eraser wheel to get rid of adhesive, step 3- admire the beauty of a truck that doesn't have rust promoting trim on it, haha but seriously use chrome polish or steel wool and it'll take it off but the chrome rockers will cause the truck to rust faster because it holds moisture

:deal:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Well, it's not stainless if it's already rusting, which is what they should have used.

If you want to keep it, get rid of the rust and have it still look half decent get a product like nevr-dull or a mild chrome polish.

Stay away from steel wool and such on chrome. It will scratch the surface and microscopic bit of the steel wool will be left in those scratches. This will promote rust even faster.

Or; bite the bullet, pull them off and replace with proper stainless steel panels.

I would be a bit worried pulling them off though. If the paint is new there is a good chance it's not fully cured. Pulling the adhesive just may just take some of that new paint off with it.

Depending on the type of paint used, it cures by solvent evaporation. Which means it skins over first, then the rest underneath eventually works it's way out to the surface as it cures. 12 months should be more than adequate for most paints to be fully cured, but with a large piece of adhesive on it (IE: the chrome) it could take a bit longer to fully cure. That could case you issues when you pull or try the eraser wheel...

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, gambling trying to pull that stuff off.

Wenol polish will get the rust off, and leave a protective coating on the metal. Though it sounds like some super cheap ching chong stuff that's gonna rust up quickly regardless.

Richard

Olredgmc

Reaction score
I really appreciate all the talk so far. Yes, hind sight is 20/20. I wish I would have paid extra to get some of that rhino or x stuff (black) instead. Anyway, pulling it off is probably not gonna happen any time soon so I just need to deal with it the best I can. I recently bought a house with a nice big garage so the street queen will be inside at least next winter. Thanks again for the help and ideas. So what I'm hearing is look for some type of chrome cleaner?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I really appreciate all the talk so far. Yes, hind sight is 20/20. I wish I would have paid extra to get some of that rhino or x stuff (black) instead. Anyway, pulling it off is probably not gonna happen any time soon so I just need to deal with it the best I can. I recently bought a house with a nice big garage so the street queen will be inside at least next winter. Thanks again for the help and ideas. So what I'm hearing is look for some type of chrome cleaner?

yup.

None abrasive is best. Swirl marks show up like a biotch in chrome finishes.

As Richard mentions, something that leaves a coating behind (wax, etc) will slow it down some. Or you can clean it and try a nice coat of Carnuba. Can't hurt....

Olredgmc

Reaction score
Update. Well I bought some chrome and metal polish called NO 7. It didn't clean the panels very good and left some swirl marks like someone mentioned above. I stopped after doing one panel and got some meguiars cleaning wax, which was a little bit better (at least it didn't leave swirls.) Anyway, the swirls are damn annoying even though you can only see them up close and at certain angles. Now that I have the swirl marks, is there anything other than more wax that will help hide them? I might just have to live with it.

sethel

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is a year old thread, but it didn't have a well constructed answer for anyone who may struggle with this issue and uses this thread as a reference.

Water + Aluminum

Rust is oxidized steel. Aluminum has a higher reduction potential (i.e. it will take on electrons more readily than steel) which means those extra oxygen atoms (with a negative 2 charge) on your chrome causing rust can be leached onto the aluminum when in a solution (thats the water part). Because aluminum is a softer metal than steel it will not scratch your chrome finish. I am less familiar with this statement but have heard reports that the aluminum-oxide will create a polishing compound to boot. The brown residue created is definitely existent but I personally have no evidence of this being true, not to say that it isn't. You will not have to scrub hard as it is a chemical reaction that is cleaning the rust and you're just introducing the two materials. Scrubbing can be done if you are hoping for a polish, and remember aluminum wont scratch chrome. It is prudent that you keep plenty of water on the surface by dipping your foil repeatedly (unless you have enough rust present to create the brown paste mentioned above).

1) Clean surface with whatever cleaners you prefer to leave behind only the rust. (Soap and water is fine)
2) Use your tin foil and water.
3) Then possibly do a finishing cleanse/sealer. You're done.