Getting a new transmission-recommendation for upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oefvet0708

Reaction score
I got a new truck about a month and knowing some history about it, it got a new 4l60e put in a couple years ago. But when I bought it I noticed it was leaking, shifting wierd, and wouldn’t go higher then 3rd gear. After talking with the previous owners they agreed to help me get the tranny warrantied since it’s in their name. After going back and forth with the company they agreed to have it warrantied so now I’m a getting a fresh stock rebuilt tranny.

So with that being said I want it to be reliable, and last longer than a couple years. I know 4l60s arnt known for taking much abuse. The truck is 98 exsb 4wd, 6 inch lift, 35” tires, stock radiator cooler no external cooler. What are some recommendations to upgrade in the new tranny to have it perform better and be reliable. I was thinking about doing the transgo hd2 kit and add an external cooler, but I have seen some things about a corvette servo. Plans for the engine is basically keep it stock or just mild bolt ons. I plan on towing occasionally, off roading seldom, mostly a point a to b truck, maybe need to drive 100 miles round trip with some mountains at highway speeds for work. Thank you for any advise give

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a new truck about a month and knowing some history about it, it got a new 4l60e put in a couple years ago. But when I bought it I noticed it was leaking, shifting wierd, and wouldn’t go higher then 3rd gear. After talking with the previous owners they agreed to help me get the tranny warrantied since it’s in their name. After going back and forth with the company they agreed to have it warrantied so now I’m a getting a fresh stock rebuilt tranny.

So with that being said I want it to be reliable, and last longer than a couple years. I know 4l60s arnt known for taking much abuse. The truck is 98 exsb 4wd, 6 inch lift, 35” tires, stock radiator cooler no external cooler. What are some recommendations to upgrade in the new tranny to have it perform better and be reliable. I was thinking about doing the transgo hd2 kit and add an external cooler, but I have seen some things about a corvette servo. Plans for the engine is basically keep it stock or just mild bolt ons. I plan on towing occasionally, off roading seldom, mostly a point a to b truck, maybe need to drive 100 miles round trip with some mountains at highway speeds for work. Thank you for any advise give
Upgrade your final drive ratio in the differentials if you haven't already. Otherwise, you'll be replacing your 3-4 clutch pack early and often.

oefvet0708

Reaction score
What ratio would you recommend with 35s and maintaining a decent highway rpm that is able to tow without lugging around too bad?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What ratio would you recommend with 35s and maintaining a decent highway rpm that is able to tow without lugging around too bad?
Sorry, failed to mention that...I'd recommend 4:56 for the best all around mix for city, hwy and light/moderate off-road or trail use...You can go 4.88 to maximize acceleration, towing capability at the expense of a little bit of fuel economy or 4.10 to maximize hwy fuel economy at the expense of city fuel economy...I'd advise against 4.10 gears however as it's not enough of a gain in hwy fuel mileage to overcome it's deficiencies at lower RPM acceleration/city mpg which will be the majority of most peoples' driving time. You'll also need to change your carrier to a Series 4 if you currently have a series three carrier in the rear diff...You can check the RPO codes either in the glove box or door (or perhaps call the dealership, ask for parts and give the last 8 digits of your vin - then ask what gear ratio you currently have or the applicable RPO codes).