Front bumper w/ winch build for 94 GMC Sierra.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to see if a 2 X 4 w. 3/16 wall will fit inside of the front frame... I have a few ideas drawn to build it out of 2 X 4 rectangle tubing design welded with the whole thing bolted into the frame rail under the core support... I'm not worried about the grill not fitting right, can trim if needed...

Attachments

• bumper design 1.jpg
    bumper design 1.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 12
  • bumper design 2.jpg
    bumper design 2.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 12
  • bumperdesign3.jpg
    bumperdesign3.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 12

GrimsterGMC

Thunder from "Down Under"
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see if a 2 X 4 w. 3/16 wall will fit inside of the front frame... I have a few ideas drawn to build it out of 2 X 4 rectangle tubing design welded with the whole thing bolted into the frame rail under the core support... I'm not worried about the grill not fitting right, can trim if needed...
I used 3" x 3" and it just fitted in snugly with a bit of movement for alignment. I took the same path as you with starting off inside the frame rails then working outwards from there. I made the centre section solid but made the outriggers of smaller material as a deliberate weakness. If I hit something square on it will do little damage, depending on impact, but if I hit something with the outer edge it will twist my chassis very easily as there a no diagonals to keep it square. Here is a picture of my bumper, the checker plate over the side sections is also a step to get up into the engine bay when on the side of the road.
You must be registered for see images attach

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used 3" x 3" and it just fitted in snugly with a bit of movement for alignment. I took the same path as you with starting off inside the frame rails then working outwards from there. I made the centre section solid but made the outriggers of smaller material as a deliberate weakness. If I hit something square on it will do little damage, depending on impact, but if I hit something with the outer edge it will twist my chassis very easily as there a no diagonals to keep it square. Here is a picture of my bumper, the checker plate over the side sections is also a step to get up into the engine bay when on the side of the road.
You must be registered for see images attach
That's nice.... Little more than I'm looking to use but the outer you mention I never thought about that... Just enough strength to keep from hitting the fender but enough give to not rack the main cradle.... I'll send what I have now.... The issue is no safe tow hooks... Sets too low in front which gets hung up easily in ruts...

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 15

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's nice.... Little more than I'm looking to use but the outer you mention I never thought about that... Just enough strength to keep from hitting the fender but enough give to not rack the main cradle.... I'll send what I have now.... The issue is no safe tow hooks... Sets too low in front which gets hung up easily in ruts...
Yes, you want to keep it up in the front if going off road. I designed mine for highway use as I have to negotiate nose to tail traffic in the city twice a week as drivers down here are hopelessly unskilled. The chance of getting into a pile up are high so I figured if I built an intimidating bumper it would firstly make others think twice and secondly, if they still didn't care, then it would leave a lasting impression on them and their car. It pays to have a dash cam as well to prove that any accident was the other guys fault. If your not sure how it will all look when finished then start with some wood and mock up a trial and play around with ideas until you are happy with it, then fabricate it in steel.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just add a 6” lift

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, you want to keep it up in the front if going off road. I designed mine for highway use as I have to negotiate nose to tail traffic in the city twice a week as drivers down here are hopelessly unskilled. The chance of getting into a pile up are high so I figured if I built an intimidating bumper it would firstly make others think twice and secondly, if they still didn't care, then it would leave a lasting impression on them and their car. It pays to have a dash cam as well to prove that any accident was the other guys fault. If your not sure how it will all look when finished then start with some wood and mock up a trial and play around with ideas until you are happy with it, then fabricate it in steel.
I have some 2 x 4 in the garage, figured doing a mock up.... Have plenty of scrap wood laying around... I found some 2 x 4 rectangle box tubing with 3/16th wall so plenty strong.. I figured someone wants Me to rear end them, they'll think twice... Same for pulling out in front of me... 6" lift ? Nah, not that kind of rig.... BTW, what's a good dash cam ? Like to set one up in my wife's car....

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally got off my ass and pulled the bumper and all brackets... I have a good idea in what I want... What I'm not sure is how it'll be attached.... Ideal be nothing lowering then the frame rail, nothing extending out more than what the winch would be... If that means cutting away the center sections, I'll just remove it and make something that'll work.....

Attachments

• FrontBumper Build1.jpg
    FrontBumper Build1.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 10

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just poke some timber into those chassis rails and sit your winch on top and see how it all looks and fits. Then start adding pieces around it until it starts to resemble the picture in your head.
Keep in mind how much weight you are adding and how far it is in front off your wheels as this will effect weight distribution. Mine added 150 lbs to the front end.

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just poke some timber into those chassis rails and sit your winch on top and see how it all looks and fits. Then start adding pieces around it until it starts to resemble the picture in your head.
Keep in mind how much weight you are adding and how far it is in front off your wheels as this will effect weight distribution. Mine added 150 lbs to the front end.
I'll be doing that this weekend... I know I need some air flow between winch and radiator but closer the better the weight distribution is my thinking...If I can get the 2 X 4 boxed tubing with 3/16th walls, can weld the steel plate inside that is used for the tow hooks and also some winch plates I've seen...