First time doing drum brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Fine. You HAVE to get the park brake working, and you HAVE to use it regularly, or the crappy leading-trailing shoe brakes won't stay in adjustment.
Didn't know that, will put it on the to-do list. Have to do it on a Friday, after I get the backup truck back so I have all weekend to heat and beat on it, and run to the parts store

Reaction score
Were you only experiencing shaking at a certain speed? My drums were bad warped and shook at all speeds. Changed it all out last week and now it only shakes around 40mph when braking. I didnt think to suspect the u-joints and wont get back to my truck for another 2 weeks...
It had a low speed squeak/grind in forward and reverse. Shaking would start about 40, then fade away after 50, but I could still feel a grumble in the body, through the seat. Also only felt it while under acceleration/steady throttle. If it only shakes while braking, that seems to indicate a brake issues, but it's not too hard to drop the driveshaft(s) and wiggle them, for peace of mind if nothing else.

Reaction score
Ok I'm new to this forum. Having trouble finding new drums. Looking for 10" drums for 2 1/4" shoes with a 5 X 4 3/4" bolt pattern. This is what was on the truck when I got it. Just wanting to replace them. 1989 GMT 400 2WD 10 bolt rearend. This may not be the rearend that came in truck from factory.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having trouble finding new drums. Looking for 10" drums for 2 1/4" shoes with a 5 X 4 3/4" bolt pattern. This is what was on the truck when I got it. Just wanting to replace them. 1989 GMT 400 2WD 10 bolt rearend. This may not be the rearend that came in truck from factory.
Photos of the brakes with the drums removed? And of the complete axle. IN FOCUS, nicely cropped, please.

GMT400s never used 4 3/4 bolt circles. Someone crammed a different axle (or at minimum, different axle shafts) under there, probably when the original 8.5" axle exploded. Photos are essential--is this even a GM axle?

Ideally, you'd fix two problems: Replace the incorrect and weak "10-bolt" axle with a 9.5" semi-float from a C2500 six-lug. You'll need the axle, the wheels from the donor vehicle, four U-bolts and nuts, the U-bolt mounting plates from the donor vehicle, and a conversion U-joint.

Failing that, consider looking for drums from earlier vehicles.