Engine problem. Sell truck, rebuild/replace motor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The knock could have been the tensioner banging its stop. How does the harmonic balancer look? Any wobble in the outer ring? That ol flat tappet cam needs high zinc oil. 10w-30 Valvoline VR1 would be my best suggestion.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I use in all my flat tappet motors, good stuff!
In a pinch you can run STP in crappy low zinc oil just have to be diligent with your oil changes,that stuff will sludge up an engine if you let it get too dirty. I've read there are zinc additives that will help the modern oils,I'm not brave enough to try it.

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear you found the source of the knock and corrected it. Drive easy.

mountie

I sold my '88 C2500 to a happy guy in Germany
Reaction score
When I had my '88 C2500, getting a crate 4-bolt main, 350, was the option, with 220,000 on the clock. I needed to rebuild the heads, but my 'race' mechanic suggested a crate motor instead, since the cost was not much different. I spent a week just cleaning up stuff, but installing the new engine only took a weekend. Back then, his cost for a crate 'long block' cost less than $1,500 !!

I actually purchased the engine through PepBoys ( They were the distributer.... not the builder!

Best choice I ever did!

Selrahc360

Reaction score
My beloved '92 Sport (162k miles) has developed an engine knock. I put in new bearings and oil pump, but the problem has returned. I think the connecting rods are too worn.

Here's my dilemma. I live in a rural area, so rebuilding is not much of an option. I can probably get a crate, but that will eat up close to 10 Grand.

With the engine running, I think the truck was worth about $20k (it's in spectacular condition, I'm original owner). What is a ballpark value of the truck with engine needing a rebuild/replace?

Here's some current pics:

You must be registered for see images attach
Wtf 10k lookup S and J in Spokane.

GTlorenzoSS

Reaction score
My beloved '92 Sport (162k miles) has developed an engine knock. I put in new bearings and oil pump, but the problem has returned. I think the connecting rods are too worn.

Here's my dilemma. I live in a rural area, so rebuilding is not much of an option. I can probably get a crate, but that will eat up close to 10 Grand.

With the engine running, I think the truck was worth about $20k (it's in spectacular condition, I'm original owner). What is a ballpark value of the truck with engine needing a rebuild/replace?

Here's some current pics:

GTlorenzoSS

Reaction score
These trucks are not going down in value! Is anything wrong with the top end? Sorry I didn’t read all the posts. But anyway, order a short block if the top end is ok. You should be able to find a good mechanic to do the swap out for under $2000. They will cry and moan about it but you can do it!
It’s too nice a truck not to.