Engine problem. Sell truck, rebuild/replace motor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Good Sport

Reaction score
My beloved '92 Sport (162k miles) has developed an engine knock. I put in new bearings and oil pump, but the problem has returned. I think the connecting rods are too worn.

Here's my dilemma. I live in a rural area, so rebuilding is not much of an option. I can probably get a crate, but that will eat up close to 10 Grand.

With the engine running, I think the truck was worth about $20k (it's in spectacular condition, I'm original owner). What is a ballpark value of the truck with engine needing a rebuild/replace?

Here's some current pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I suggest to start looking around for trucks with bad transmissions and a good motor. Swap motors then sell off the remaining truck parts to pay for your new motor. The reason I say this is that for some reason there are people out there who take real good care of the motor, and ignore the rest of the drivetrain. I have found ones with newer crate motors and when the transmission went they were just done with it and sold it for scrap. I have payed as little as $800 for these trucks.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
DO NOT SELL!!!!

If you are in a rural area, reach out to a farmer or two. If they don't have one, someone they know probably has one sitting behind a barn somewhere. Post an ad in the local paper or online buy and sell for your area. They literally made millions of these trucks, someone has one rotting away somewhere nearby with a piled up tranny or rear end with a good motor.

Do you have a pick-n-pull yard anywhere nearby?
A bit of sweat equity and save a ton of money.

Good Sport

Reaction score
Thanks folks. If I'm going to put in another engine, I would definitely go with a new crate (the GM unit, or maybe the Blueprint equivalent). I could probably do an install, but it would be difficult at my age. I was 39 when I bought the truck, I'm 71 now! Just weighing my options. Thanks.