Engine oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnZ71

Z71 Tahoe Enjoyer
Reaction score
Looks like oil cooler lines. They should run back to the oil-cooler adapter on the block, and go into the radiator on the driver side.

I’m not sure what your next step should be… Running it without oil, stalling, and now turning over slow points to bearing damage. It will have to be disassembled, inspected, and repaired/replaced as needed.

I imagine the bearings are still dry. If oil got to them, they may free up enough to run, but I imagine it wouldn’t be running for long.

ObsBrian

Reaction score
Looks like oil cooler lines. They should run back to the oil-cooler adapter on the block, and go into the radiator on the driver side.

I’m not sure what your next step should be… Running it without oil, stalling, and now turning over slow points to bearing damage. It will have to be disassembled, inspected, and repaired/replaced as needed.

I imagine the bearings are still dry. If oil got to them, they may free up enough to run, but I imagine it wouldn’t be running for long.
You think I should tow it to a shop? Or try and start it again I put oil in it after I connected the lines back on and I tried cranking then found it wouldn’t turn over

ObsBrian

Reaction score
You think I should tow it to a shop? Or try and start it again I put oil in it after I connected the lines back on and I tried cranking then found it wouldn’t turn ove

That looks like an oil cooler line, if you hooked that to the intake like a vacuum line your pumping oil directly into the intake. Probably why it cranks once then acts like its hydro locking.

Pull a spark plug, I bet it'll be soaked in oil.
I don’t know where it goes to not my radiator nor I don’t think my intake but I’m not saying your wrong I will have to look when I have a chance

JohnZ71

Z71 Tahoe Enjoyer
Reaction score
You think I should tow it to a shop? Or try and start it again I put oil in it after I connected the lines back on and I tried cranking then found it wouldn’t turn over
You could try pulling the plugs as @RichLo recommended. That will take some of the compression load off the starter and also confirm clear cylinders.

If you can get the engine turning enough to have oil flowing to the bearings, it may run enough to confirm bad/spun bearings.

Squealing or knocking is a tell-tale sign.

Again, it’s not looking good from what we know so far.

JohnZ71

Z71 Tahoe Enjoyer
Reaction score
Those lines either go into the radiator, or it may have an auxiliary oil cooler in front of the radiator/condenser.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Me thinks ya should bend over, assume the position and brace for impact. Sorry for ya.

ObsBrian

Reaction score
You could try pulling the plugs as @RichLo recommended. That will take some of the compression load off the starter and also confirm clear cylinders.

If you can get the engine turning enough to have oil flowing to the bearings, it may run enough to confirm bad/spun bearings.

Squealing or knocking is a tell-tale sign.

Again, it’s not looking good from what we know so far.
I’m going to pull some spark plugs and check for oil but if their clear should I try cranking it? Because I don’t want to damage it more if it is already

JohnZ71

Z71 Tahoe Enjoyer
Reaction score
I’m going to pull some spark plugs and check for oil but if their clear should I try cranking it? Because I don’t want to damage it more if it is already
You can manually turn the engine from the crank bolt if you don’t want to risk breaking the drive on the starter or chipping a tooth on the flexplate. If it seems to turn freely, I don’t see the harm in using the starter to turn it over.

I think the damage has already been done.