Engine oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ObsBrian

Reaction score
You can manually turn the engine from the crank bolt if you don’t want to risk breaking the drive on the starter or chipping a tooth on the flexplate. If it seems to turn freely, I don’t see the harm in using the starter to turn it over.

I think the damage has already been done.
Okay I’m going to just pull the spark plugs and check them and get it towed to a shop.

ObsBrian

Reaction score
You could try pulling the plugs as @RichLo recommended. That will take some of the compression load off the starter and also confirm clear cylinders.

If you can get the engine turning enough to have oil flowing to the bearings, it may run enough to confirm bad/spun bearings.

Squealing or knocking is a tell-tale sign.

Again, it’s not looking good from what we know so far.
And is there anything else you need to know that I could tell you?

JohnZ71

Z71 Tahoe Enjoyer
Reaction score
And is there anything else you need to know that I could tell you?
No but I’m curious where those lines are running to if you say it doesn’t have a cooler, feel free to investigate them whenever you get the chance.

Let us know your progress after pulling the plugs and seeing how it turns over.

I would prepare for the worst, I’m sorry buddy. If it makes you feel any better, you won’t be the first one to suffer this fate. Leaking oil coolers have sent many engines to their death.

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leaking oil coolers have sent many engines to their death.
I was following a navigator that blew it's tranny cooler line the other day. They had no idea. Fried the tranny in nothing flat. Ended up that the metal connector up front actually broke in half... you could tell it was chineseum crap.

Sorry about your luck ObsBrian :(

ObsBrian

Reaction score
No but I’m curious where those lines are running to if you say it doesn’t have a cooler, feel free to investigate them whenever you get the chance.

I would prepare for the worst, I’m sorry buddy. If it makes you feel any better, you won’t be the first one to suffer this fate. Leaking oil coolers have sent many engines to their death.
Thank you for all your help I will lyk and if the plugs are clean and can manually turn the crank would be ok to give another try to turn over?

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you for all your help I will lyk and if the plugs are clean and can manually turn the crank would be ok to give another try to turn over?
Worse case, it's a case of another one KIA already. Slim chance its runnable if it pumped itself out of oil and stalled. I'd be really tempted to crank it over with all the plugs out to clear/verify clear cylinders and see if would fire off afterwards. May hear the sounds of dead bearing when you spin it with the plugs out.

Good luck. Hope you have another ride while it is down.

JohnZ71

Z71 Tahoe Enjoyer
Reaction score
Sure you can give it a whirl if it turns somewhat easy with the crank bolt.

If it’s able to crank over faster, and start pumping oil to the bearings… put the plugs back in and try to start it. If it’s starts, it will certainly let you know the condition of the bearings.

ObsBrian

Reaction score

Previous owner did have a oil cooler had problems with it, so he took it off So does that mean the hoses are just there no purpose for them?

JohnZ71

Z71 Tahoe Enjoyer
Reaction score
Previous owner did have an oil cooler had problems with it, so he took it off So does that mean the hoses are just there no purpose for them?
If there’s no cooler, I guess the lines are just looped into each other. You may be able to remove the oil cooler adaptor on the block and just use a regular filter. I’m not sure at all.

ObsBrian

Reaction score
If there’s no cooler, I guess the lines are just looped into each other. You may be able to remove the oil cooler adaptor on the block and just use a regular filter. I’m not sure at all.
The lines def do loop together in that one pic I sent. I do use a regular fulter
Tho already