Engine passed away after true dual install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrownDogg

Reaction score
What brand was the crate engine the first time? Sounds like you just got a bad build to me. BUT, the driving home running rough gets my attention, can the TBI fuel pressure regulator fail wide open? The reason I ask is some ford regulators can, and if you continue to drive it will hydro-lock the motor. I rebuilt one ford v6 years ago that had hydro-locked on the highway, the damage inside was incredible, all we reused was the block and heads. Just wondering if yours was getting close enough to beat the lower end to death without locking up yet? What did the oil look like?
Sorry it was from Jegs

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oil looked real good. I'm not sure how I would know if it hydro-locked, not sure I know a way to figure it out. I replaced the fuel injectors quite a ways before the duals. Never had any issues til that day.
The oil would have been mostly gas when it failed

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your engine failure is not related to your exhaust unless the shop was dorking around somewhere they didn't need to, and that's not likely.

It's a shame you walked away from it, because a GM crate engine has a 24 month warranty. My guess is you had an internal engine failure. A teardown will give more clues.

If it hydrolocked, check the piston on the cylinder that failed. The ring lands will likely be pinched and you won't be able to get the rings out.

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kind of a long shot, but i've seen stupid exhaust shops ground to the flexplate while welding exhaust. if your transmission is missing the dust cover this MAY be what happened. May have welded a bearing and spun it slowly on your drive home until it completely failed.