Clutch safety switch removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
1992 K1500 manual won't start. Doesn't click or try to turn over. Battery is good. Starter is new today. Needing to remove the clutch safety switch and I don't want to break anything.

The switch has 2 "buttons" on the back that secure to a flimsy, tan plastic panel. Tips and tricks for easy removal?

Thanks

Last edited:

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
It's been forever since I've removed one but I believe there's a locking tab between the two "buttons" and you can press it down with a small screwdriver then slide the switch out of the bracket.

However, you can test the switch in place easily without bothering to remove. It's just got 2 pins on the connector and the switch is normally open. Hook up your meter to it set on continuity beep, press the switch by hand and see if it closes.

Richard

nineno

Reaction score
I believe there's a locking tab between the two "buttons" and you can press it down with a small screwdriver then slide the switch out of the bracket.
You are correct on both accounts:
1. There is a tiny metal tang between the two plastic "nubs" or "buttons" that mount the switch in the bracket.
Depress the metal tang and slide the switch the only direction it will move. The image below shows the switch and what the tang looks like.

2. Easy to test the switch in-place, as described.

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
Okay all - there is actually TWO CLUTCH SAFETY SWITCHES. What I thought was the part in question had two tiny little brownish wires and mounted on the top side of clutch pedal for the front of the pedal to hit. The actual clutch safety switch in my truck was nowhere to be found. I found a mysterious half of the clutch safety switch and the casing was never in there. The previous owner must have torn it apart and never secured the wiring harness in there -he couldn't have because there was only half of the switch.

We finally figured out what I'm calling "the cruise control switch" had to be disengaged and the actual lower clutch safety switch with purple and yellow wires has to be depressed for the vehicle to turn over. This allows purple wire to be hot which then feeds the crank circuit and she runs.

Jeepers.

Attachments

• 20240801_174756.jpg
    20240801_174756.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240725_190530.jpg
    20240725_190530.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240801_175158.jpg
    20240801_175158.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 2