Cheap AC recharge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe long ago shadetree , back yard was passable. That doesn't work in an R134 or R1234 world.
Someone should tell that to my long time daily driver F150 with 134 in it. Sometimes it'll run all day long even idling for hours to keep doggo cool.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As someone that used to be young and didn’t care about a/c, (because race cars don’t have a/c obviusly :anitoof:) my suggestion would be- fix it fully the right way or roll the whenders down.:badger_1:

The low side will draw refrigerant in, because of the pressure difference of the container it’s in, but I wouldn’t call it a vacuum.

The point of vacuuming the system is to change the boiling point of the water introduced from the atmosphere so that it can be removed.

Reaction score
I have a 91 k1500 I recently got going and all of the ac hoses where missing. I know to recharge it you need a few hundred bucks for some fancy equipment to charge it. Obviously i will have to buy refrigerant but i know the pump will pull somewhat of a vacuum on its own. Also the new hoses don't seem like they are leaking. I'm young and don't care too much about it's performance, I just don't want the hot air from the engine bay blowing in my face 24/7.
The system was open and now has air in it and an unknown amount of lubricating oil. If it was sealed and cooling a little you might get away with adding freon or probably R-134. As it is having it put on a vacuum to remove what's in there and replace it with the correct amount of oil and charge of refrigerant is your best bet. Tell them the system was open (no hoses) they may need to flush it to remove contamination.