Cheap AC recharge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
Been a lot of systems Ive replaced lines, pulled no vacuum, blowin cold, and still going for years. When my dad was around, he did the same. They outlasted him.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll play devil's advocate. I left the brick open on my Crown Victoria for something like 11 years. Then one day I grabbed a junkyard compressor, lines, condenser, slapped it on my car, no vacuum, charged with cans, good to go.

"Good to go"? :oops:

The PAG (if R134a) would be a goo after being open for so long. If mineral (R12), did you put R12 back in it or add PAG and R134a?

C'mon now, how well did it really work? And for how long? What were the evap temps? Were the high-side pressures through the roof?

I know you know what you're doing, hence my questions.

Last edited:

ChevyGuy572

Reaction score
This is news, somewhat encouraging.

OK.

You said earlier "all of the ac hoses where (were?) missing".

Was it R12 all its life, or did prev owner swap it to R134a?

Yes I meant were, minor grammar mistake. I don't know if the previous owner put r134 in it, but I know the factory calls for r12 for my model.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your very misinformed and a lack of basic knowledge on current HVAC . There is no " I just figured in AC " . Who or where did you get info that the compressor draws a vacuum? Your assumptions are inadequate and possibly dangerous.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been a lot of systems Ive replaced lines, pulled no vacuum, blowin cold, and still going for years. When my dad was around, he did the same. They outlasted him.
Maybe long ago shadetree , back yard was passable. That doesn't work in an R134 or R1234 world.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were in your shoes:

1) Replace the filter drier, condenser, and orifice tube.
2) Replace all the o-rings and the valve cores.
3) If any of the hoses have soft spots or abrasion, replace them. Make sure the connecting ends look flat and smooth with no dings.
4) Buy the Harbor Freight two-stage vacuum pump and a not-lowest quality set of gauges.
5) Assemble the system, applying a bit of PAG oil to every seal to lube them before assembly.
6) Put your fresh oil into the high-side hose.
7) Hook up the vacuum pump and pull your vacuum from the low-side hose for a full 24 hours.
8) Close off the vacuum pump and let the system sit for 24 hours. You should lose no more than an inch or two of vacuum in that 24 hours. If you lose more, you have a leak somewhere.
9) Charge the system from the low side. Always keep the cans upright so you don't slug your compressor with liquid. If you can, put the can in a warm (not hot) place as you're charging.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If I were in your shoes:

1) Replace the filter drier and condenser.
3) If any of the hoses have soft spots or abrasion, replace them. Make sure the connecting ends look flat and smooth with no dings.
4) Buy the Harbor Freight two-stage vacuum pump and a not-lowest quality set of gauges.
5) Assemble the system, applying a bit of PAG oil to every seal to lube them before assembly.
7) Hook up the vacuum pump and pull your vacuum from the low-side hose for a full 24 hours.
8) Close off the vacuum pump and let the system sit for 24 hours. You should lose no more than an inch or two of vacuum in that 24 hours. If you lose more, you have a leak somewhere.
9) Charge the system from the low side. Always keep the cans upright so you don't slug your compressor with liquid. If you can, put the can in a warm (not hot) place as you're charging.
Would you spend $140 for the HF Pittsburgh 3 CFM 2 stage, pulls down to 22.5 microns - or $208 for the similar Robinair 15300 3 CFM 2 stage, pulls down to 35 microns?

...or $215 for a Robinair #15500 5 CFM 2 stage, pulls down to 35 microns?

They all seem to have their fair share of really bad reviews, but it seems like these days that's any product. All 3 mentioned have a lot of good reviews as well.

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were in your shoes:

1) Replace the filter drier and condenser.
Don't forget the orifice tube...