Cb radio antennas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cherryred98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so I have a 98 k1500 ext cab, I was at a junkyard and found a cool aluminum shelf type thing that mounts where the sun visors mount ( it goes all the way across) and decided it would be cool to mount my cb that I had in my s10 before I sold it ( I have a couple buddies that have cbs in their cars and trucks, it’s honestly just nice when were caravaning to the lake or cruising around town) I have the power wire run down the A pillar and ties into the power from my trailer brake controller that goes to the fuse block under the hood. And the ground goes to the mount screw where the sun visor was. I have dual 3’ I believe fire sticks and a t (that goes into the back of the radio and splits it for the two antennas) and 2 10’ cables. My question is how do I run the antenna wires out of the cab without drilling a hole in it? On the s10 I just had them go through the wing windows and they got sandwiched there and it was fine and wasn’t an eye catcher. This truck is red and I want to do it better. Any ideas?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so I have a 98 k1500 ext cab, I was at a junkyard and found a cool aluminum shelf type thing that mounts where the sun visors mount ( it goes all the way across) and decided it would be cool to mount my cb that I had in my s10 before I sold it ( I have a couple buddies that have cbs in their cars and trucks, it’s honestly just nice when were caravaning to the lake or cruising around town) I have the power wire run down the A pillar and ties into the power from my trailer brake controller that goes to the fuse block under the hood. And the ground goes to the mount screw where the sun visor was. I have dual 3’ I believe fire sticks and a t (that goes into the back of the radio and splits it for the two antennas) and 2 10’ cables. My question is how do I run the antenna wires out of the cab without drilling a hole in it? On the s10 I just had them go through the wing windows and they got sandwiched there and it was fine and wasn’t an eye catcher. This truck is red and I want to do it better. Any ideas?
Not sure if 95+ are the same as 88-94, but if you look above the steering shaft under the dash, there should be a plastic "grommet" that the manual transmission slave cylinder bolted to.
It's an oval shape with two bolts, one on each side of I remember correctly.
Either that or drill a hole where you want, and put a rubber grommet in.

JohnZ71

Z71 Tahoe Enjoyer
Reaction score
Following because I’m also interested in adding one of my CBs to the Tahoe. I haven’t decided on how I want to do it yet, still looking for ideas.

Currently have a handheld ham that I’m using as a mobile with a magnetic antenna on the roof. That’s all just temporary until I get an actual mobile radio. I like the idea of having roof-rack mounted antennas. I haven’t had any issues with the magnetic one yet, but in some sort of emergency situation where I’m running 100+mph, I think the magnetic mounts would give up. I’d rather have a solid mount.

I’d likely still have the cable running into one of the rear doors, I can’t bring myself to drill a hole in the roof, and then fight the headliner to run the cable. I swore that my headliner/cable days are over after installing the VHS system in my Tahoe. That was a miserable experience.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use a fire stick antenna with the spring and mount, and the cable goes into the cab and attaches into my handheld CB with a cable end adapter. I have the ac adapter hard wired under my center console. I have a 02 NBS center console, and there's a hole in the front of it where a vent would normally go. My CB sits in there until I need to use it, then I throw it into the cup holder. Its always connected to the firestick antenna. I keep the antenna in my center console just in case I need to take the radio with me. The setup works pretty slick. I have the magnetic antenna but I don't use it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You must be registered for see images attach

JohnZ71

Z71 Tahoe Enjoyer
Reaction score
I use a fire stick antenna with the spring and mount, and the cable goes into the cab and attaches into my handheld CB with a cable end adapter. I have the ac adapter hard wired under my center console. I have a 02 NBS center console, and there's a hole in the front of it where a vent would normally go. My CB sits in there until I need to use it, then I throw it into the cup holder. Its always connected to the firestick antenna. I keep the antenna in my center console just in case I need to take the radio with me. The setup works pretty slick. I have the magnetic antenna but I don't use it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Does the fender mount rub any paint? Did you make it or buy it?

JohnZ71

Z71 Tahoe Enjoyer
Reaction score
Sweet. This helps a lot.

I have a cobra 29 and a little magic box that makes the signal a lot stronger, though I probably won’t use that…only the radio.

The cobra 29 is pretty big but is a decent radio, I’m not sure where I want to mount it. I was thinking about a rack system that mounts to the transmission floor hump. That will allow a ham and CB radio to be mounted securely down there.

Lots of ideas. Little decision-making capability.

Cherryred98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d likely still have the cable running into one of the rear doors, I can’t bring myself to drill a hole in the roof, and then fight the headliner to run the cable. I swore that my headliner/cable days are over after installing the VHS system in my Tahoe. That was a miserable experience.
Currently I have my cables runnin out the rear pop out windows because they aren’t long enough, but I just tucked them behind the trim piece just so you couldn’t see it, pulled out the screw for the little “clothes hanger” in the back pulled that trim back and fished it through at the window, doing stuff behind the headliner sounds like a absolute pain in the butt especially with these old headliners deteriorating.

I’m waiting on my money to come back from eBay so I can order 18 foot split cable for my cophase set up ( I know my range isn’t gonna be all that good because my antennas won’t be 9 feet apart ) does anyone know if 18 feet would be enough to make it from the middle front of the headliner (above the rear view mirror) down the A pilliar, out the door board under the truck and back up to the bed? (Where the front bed stakes go)