cab lights / hole too large now / options or screwed??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Original cab lights i installed YEARRSS AGO started leaking water in cab. When i took the screws out, the hole on one of them appears to have enlarged as the only thing holding the light to cab was the silicone.

Originally tried the jb weld steelstik, but it didnt set up as it was supposed to So i figured i could turn my tig down real low and just tack / grind it back smooth / redrill.

WRONG. Soon as i struck arc the hole opened up even more.

What are my options now? Buddy of mine said find Riv nut.. but u need to know the rite thickness and drill perfect hole. , just lookin for more help please, ?

EJ_74

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Weld and redrill would be nice. Do you have access to a different welder? I don't recall the rivnuts from parts stores being thickness specific. But if the hole is already too large I guess that's not an option

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
Factory is little clip on thread/screw plates..I don't even know what to call them. U shaped, they slide over the edge of the steel, one side has a hole, one side has threads for the screw. Like GM did with all the other hardware.

I dunno what all you have going on for the holes, but should be able to put one of those in.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rivnuts, didn't you bother to look up how many different sizes there are? And the few different materials there made of, aluminum, steel, stainless, etc. What perfect hole?
There's all kinds of applications. Even wet areas. I used some in structural application to install the factory running boards on an Explorer the customer wanted after the delivery.
Clipnuts don't work for smooth flat surface install, flat to flat surface.
You didn't turn the heat down enough, burn through.

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some (most?) Silicone sealants emit acid when they cure. (That´s the smell of vinegar)
Don´t use them on your car, If you do. rust like this will happen.

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No picture provided, so we're shooting in dim light here.

Would a well nut work? https://www.mcmaster.com/products/well-nuts/

If not and welding is unsuccessful, you could glue new sheet metal in from the inside if there is access. 3M has you covered. I think 8116 is the right one, but that's just from memory so you should confirm.